Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Different kinds of fermentation  (Read 910 times)

Offline donkeyhotay

• 1st Kit
Different kinds of fermentation
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:29:23 pm »
I'm not new to fermented foods (I make bread, yogurt, cultured cheese, etc all the time), but I am new to brewing.  I brewed a gallon of beer this summer, using a kit that a friend gave me as a gift, and all went well.  The result was a good-tasting pale ale.  However, it seemed like a lot of work for a meager gallon of beer.  Recently, I had some tej -- an Ethiopian honey wine -- and that led me to try to brew a simple mead.  I got an extra gallon carboy and decided to make two gallons.  Each gallon has the same ingredients: 1 quart of raw honey, a little less than three quarts of spring water, D47 yeast, and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient.  The only difference is that I did not mix up the honey with the water too much in carboy #1.  In carboy #2, I thoroughly mixed the honey with the water.  I have noticed a difference in how they are fermenting.  Carboy #1 seems to be "effervescing".  Lots of little bubbles are rising from the bottom.  There is very little in the way of foam on the top. Carboy #2, on the other hand, has more foam at the top, and there is not much in the way of effervescing, but a bubble of gas bloops out of the air lock every little bit.  I'm just curious to know if anyone has any thoughts on this.  Thanks.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Different kinds of fermentation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:40:15 pm »
To me, it takes just as much eddort to brew 5 gallons of beer as it does to brew one gallon. All it takes is bigger kettles and a burner.

I'm new to meadmaking, and I have never read anything that suggests not thoroughly mixing water and honey. Since you are already commited, let it go, bottle it, and compare in several months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Different kinds of fermentation
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 06:53:04 pm »
Oxygen?