Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Delirium Nocturnum  (Read 2923 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Delirium Nocturnum
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:43:49 am »
I have create your own 6er, is this beer a try in 6 months to a year or just pop the top and enjoy? any opinions of the beer going in?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Delirium Nocturnum
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:53:46 am »
I say try it now. It's a Belgian Strong Ale and of course would age nicely, but I bet it's delicious now. Dangerously drinkable.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 10:03:47 am »
I've never thought of it as a beer that would benefit from aging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 11:08:27 am »
Now that I find 8.5% on the back of the bottle, so probably not great to age... I thought it was stronger than that...

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 01:44:12 pm »
+1 to drinking it fresh. It probably already has some age on it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 03:02:25 pm »
FWIW, I wasn't saying it needed to age, only that an 8.5% beer could age nicely for a while. Who knows how old it is now - I'd drink it now.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 04:13:50 pm »
FWIW, I wasn't saying it needed to age, only that an 8.5% beer could age nicely for a while. Who knows how old it is now - I'd drink it now.

Yeah, isn't that a winter release for them?  I could be wrong, but if it is, that means it was probably brewed late last fall or earlier.  I do love that beer though.  Haven't had it in a while.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 04:20:12 pm »
Oh I know that, I just thought going in it was like a 10%+for some reason, probably because it was a $6.50 11.5oz bottle, I was progressively wishing I got more bang out of that.  I will be cracking the seal here soon

AHA Member

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »
Oh I know that, I just thought going in it was like a 10%+for some reason, probably because it was a $6.50 11.5oz bottle, I was progressively wishing I got more bang out of that.  I will be cracking the seal here soon

Cool. Yeah the Belgian stuff definitely isn't cheap. That's a nice, really drinkable beer though. Love Belgian beer.
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 04:47:49 pm »
Me too, and being right around the corner from Taxmans I get to try some fresh Belgian beers.  The Tripel Exemption is really good

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:51:51 pm by JJeffers09 »

AHA Member

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 04:55:44 pm »
Me too, and being right around the corner from Taxmans I get to try some fresh Belgian beers.  The Triple Exemption is really good

Nice. Their dubbel and quad are pretty tasty, too.
Jon H.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 06:17:34 am »

Yeah, isn't that a winter release for them?  I could be wrong, but if it is, that means it was probably brewed late last fall or earlier.  I do love that beer though.  Haven't had it in a while.

Nocturnum is year round. Delirium Noel is their Xmas seasonal. I've aged Nocturnum for about 3 years. It gets more rounded & soft, but loses some brightness. I'd suggest drinking it now.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 06:47:00 am »
Just have to say I find it utterly hysterical we are at a point now in the US where we are saying "It's only 8.5% ABV" as if that's low alcohol. That said, I don't find that many beers aside from barley wines and RIS age very well. Often time the Delerium line tastes old to me, can't say I have had one in quite some time though.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 07:53:18 am »
Just have to say I find it utterly hysterical we are at a point now in the US where we are saying "It's only 8.5% ABV" as if that's low alcohol. That said, I don't find that many beers aside from barley wines and RIS age very well. Often time the Delerium line tastes old to me, can't say I have had one in quite some time though.
Don't get my wrong it's not that it's "only" 8.5%.  It was more of, "Should this be hidden and forgotten about, or enjoy now" kind of question.

It is true, that 8.5% is more than 2x the macrobrews out there in strength so I get your point.  But yeah the available high gravity imperial beers above 10% has changed everyone's spectrum of high gravity beer.  Same as the spectrum of high IBUs does 85IBUs seem like a big deal these days? Not to me it doesn't.

AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 08:04:15 am »
Don't get my wrong it's not that it's "only" 8.5%.  It was more of, "Should this be hidden and forgotten about, or enjoy now" kind of question.

It is true, that 8.5% is more than 2x the macrobrews out there in strength so I get your point.  But yeah the available high gravity imperial beers above 10% has changed everyone's spectrum of high gravity beer.  Same as the spectrum of high IBUs does 85IBUs seem like a big deal these days? Not to me it doesn't.

I don't know how old you were but I can remember thinking 6.5% was a "high abv". That's all I'm sayin'. Amazing how much has changed. Not meant as a criticism to anyone.