Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anchor Steam - Dry Hopped  (Read 2434 times)

coastsidemike

Anchor Steam - Dry Hopped
« on: October 22, 2016, 06:18:32 pm »
When Fritz Maytag sold Anchor Steam in 2010, it was not clear what direction the brewery would go.  In hindsight, the there's been a substantial creative effort to keep the brand and beers relevant (distilling as well; their Junipero gin is a wonderful go-to), and this has included a seasonal update of the classic Anchor Steam Beer:

Anchor Steam has always been a classic local beer with a distinctive malty flavor and unique use of Northern Brewer Hops.  I have run into a few people who like this beer just the way it is and have no interest in trying the new recipe.  I like the traditional malty flavor as well and am I'm always looking for it on tap when dining out.  Although it dates to the the 1800's, I think the current recipe has been in place since 1971.  It's the most unique and most traditional beer as I can find in the SF Bay area.

The Dry-Hopped update is well thought-out, first by moving the ABV from 4.9% to 5.4% and then making it slightly more bitter.  It clear that Anchor Brewing is exploring how to keep relevant in a changing market, and that their Liberty Ale, which is a great dry-hopped beer, has really not taken off and is sometimes hard to find.  This update still has the familiar flavor of an Anchor Steam, but with the dry-hop addition of Cascade and "American Dwarf Hop Association No. 484", it is really a new beer.  The familiar flavor is there but more subdued as the hop additions stand out. No idea what that last hop is.

I like it quite a bit and find it well balanced. It's now more appropriate to serve in a glass than the bottle.  In looking for comparisons, it makes me think of some of the various seasonal pale ales put out by Green Flash.  If I could find this fresh and on tap somewhere, I'd not pass it up.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:28:34 pm by surfin.mikeg »

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Anchor Steam - Dry Hopped
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:54:51 am »
I had it in a restaurant just outside of Boston. I thought it was very well done. Like you said, a nice update. It still has the caramel maltiness, but now that our palates have become accustomed to more bitterness, it seems more balanced. It's funny how years ago, even though I liked it very much I thought it was really bitter. Now it doesn't seem bitter at all.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 03:43:06 pm »
I had it over a year ago at HopCat in Indy. I loved it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:18:14 am »
Is it true that this is a limited release? If so, I need to find it before it is gone!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

coastsidemike

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 02:12:37 pm »
Is it true that this is a limited release? If so, I need to find it before it is gone!

In watching how they released their "Go West!" IPA this Spring and now have it replacing their year-round Anchor IPA, my guess is that they are monitoring/tracking and will do something to make it more available.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 03:25:23 pm »

In watching how they released their "Go West!" IPA this Spring and now have it replacing their year-round Anchor IPA, my guess is that they are monitoring/tracking and will do something to make it more available.

The have a beer finder http://www.anchorbrewing.com/connect/beer_finder.  Go to advanced search and select Dry Hopped
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 05:17:49 pm »
Searching didn't help me find it...but did answer why I haven't seen Anchor on shelves in a while...seems they've abandoned my area...

I'll still keep my eyes open for this beer though...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.