Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coleman 100 quart cooler for a mash tun?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline wmsouthworth

• Cellarman
  • Mr. Bill
Coleman 100 quart cooler for a mash tun?
« on: September 10, 2016, 07:53:21 pm »
Anybody using a Coleman Extreme 100 qt as a mash tun? If so what are your thoughts on it's performance? Coleman also has a 100 qt Marine cooler that has a anti microbial additive in the interior plastic, which sounds like something I don't want in my beer! I have been using a 50 qt cooler with good results so far, but I want to up my batch size.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Coleman 100 quart cooler for a mash tun?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:29:11 pm »
How big are you thinking of going? I have a 70qt extreme and can fit about 32lbs. Do you need more than that?

Offline wmsouthworth

• Cellarman
  • Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:49:52 pm »
How big are you thinking of going? I have a 70qt extreme and can fit about 32lbs. Do you need more than that?

I have done several "no sparge" batches where I add all the water (mash and sparge) at once. The beers I have made this way turned out great, they have great head retention and a very smooth malt character. I need more volume to do 10 gallon batches this way.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:03:14 pm »
I'm sure it will work fine. I've got a buddy with the 120 that he uses for 15 gallon batches and it works as well as my 70. I also have a 50. I use whatever is appropriate for the volume.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 08:49:26 am »
I got a 70 qt when they went on special @ Amazon for something like $39.  It's all I ever need (and more than I usually need).
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline wmsouthworth

• Cellarman
  • Mr. Bill
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 11:12:22 am »
I got a 70 qt when they went on special @ Amazon for something like $39.  It's all I ever need (and more than I usually need).

Amazon Prime is the Best price I found. I ordered a 100 Quart, Now the problem is where to store it, it's almost the size of a small bath tub. :)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 12:56:13 pm »

What mash ratio are you using for that? 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 01:01:26 pm »
1.7 with room to stir. Can for sure go bigger with a thicker mash. Can I mash it says I could do 50lb at 1qt/lb

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 08:16:55 am »
  I wouldn't worry over much about the anti microbial additive. Several years ago we started seeing refrigerators that advertised the anti-microbial plastic, as I recall it essentially is a formulation that produces a surface that bacteria and other microbes are unable to survive on. It doesn't "poison" them, it simply isn't a surface they can live on. Probably an over simplification.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline wmsouthworth

• Cellarman
  • Mr. Bill
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 01:41:22 pm »
  I wouldn't worry over much about the anti microbial additive. Several years ago we started seeing refrigerators that advertised the anti-microbial plastic, as I recall it essentially is a formulation that produces a surface that bacteria and other microbes are unable to survive on. It doesn't "poison" them, it simply isn't a surface they can live on. Probably an over simplification.

Good to know. Now I wish I ordered the marine version of the chest, it was cheaper and the handles looked sturdier.