Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time kegging  (Read 4383 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Re: First time kegging
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 01:50:00 pm »
You can spray starsan (mixed with water) on the keg and look for bubbles. Your co2 will be gone by tomorrow if you don't fix the leak. Use keg lube or Vaseline on rubber o-rings to get a better seal.

I checked it and the leak is coming from the part of the keg I pointed out in my picture. I will use the keg lube to try and seal it for now.

Any ideas for a more long term fix?
-Donde

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 01:59:14 pm »
You can spray starsan (mixed with water) on the keg and look for bubbles. Your co2 will be gone by tomorrow if you don't fix the leak. Use keg lube or Vaseline on rubber o-rings to get a better seal.

I checked it and the leak is coming from the part of the keg I pointed out in my picture. I will use the keg lube to try and seal it for now.

Any ideas for a more long term fix?
There is a big o-ring under the lid. That can be lubed and/or replaced. You can also hold the keg up (lift the keg off the ground from that lever) by the kid lever when first connecting the QD with pressure already at 10+ PSI to encourage a good seal.

But, your picture seems to be pointing at the interface of metal and plastic away from the lid itself. If that is the true source of the leak it probably can't be fixed. The plastic is just an outer shell around a stainless steel cylinder. If gas is escaping at the plastic stainless junction there may be a hole in the stainless or a weld under the plastic. I have never heard of that though so hopefully it's not your problem.

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »

Sorry if this is a double post, internet is being weird.

So I said the hell with it and switch my brew into another keg and no more leaks.

I was wondering if there is any way to fix the leak I spoke about earlier? I tested with some starsan water and the bubbles were coming from the edge that I noted in the picture. Or will I just have to eat the cost of the keg and get a new one?

Thanks.
-Donde

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 02:36:41 pm »

So I said the hell with it and switch my brew into another keg and no more leaks.

I was wondering if there is any way to fix the leak I spoke about earlier? I tested with some starsan water and the bubbles were coming from the edge that I noted in the picture. Or will I just have to eat the cost of the keg and get a new one?

Thanks.
Now that it's empty you could pressurize and submerge in bathtub to explore the exact location of the leak. Maybe with more information someone else can help. I am not sure how to help.

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 02:37:57 pm »

Thanks.
Now that it's empty you could pressurize and submerge in bathtub to explore the exact location of the leak. Maybe with more information someone else can help. I am not sure how to help.

Thanks for the idea. From the sound of it I am probably SOL, which sucks but could be worse.

I will keep this thread posted about what I find and the final results of my kegging.
-Donde

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 04:24:24 pm »
Yeah, I own about 20 kegs and have been kegging for well over 10 years. I have NEVER seen a leak from the spot that you pointed to. If it truly is there, then I would say that the keg is done. Time to go buy another one.
Be absolutely sure though, that that is where the leak is actually coming from. As stated above, I would think that it is very rare.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 04:33:02 pm »
Yeah, I own about 20 kegs and have been kegging for well over 10 years. I have NEVER seen a leak from the spot that you pointed to. If it truly is there, then I would say that the keg is done. Time to go buy another one.
Be absolutely sure though, that that is where the leak is actually coming from. As stated above, I would think that it is very rare.

Yeah, I own over 20 as well and have never seen one leak from there. I'd definitely submerge the keg (pressurized) at some point to verify where the leak is for sure.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 08:40:29 am »
I suppose you could still use it as a fermenter...

At the least, if you scrap it, save the posts, dip tubes, etc.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 09:08:43 am »
That's a strange place for a leak. IMO it only makes sense to me if somebody used a corrosive material on/in the keg or the keg was damaged and somebody fit a new rubber piece on top to cover it up.

I'd double check that is the true source of the leak but if true the keg is probably scrap. You might be able to weld the leaks closed but that might cost as much or more than buying a used keg to replace it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 08:44:51 am »
That's a strange place for a leak. IMO it only makes sense to me if somebody used a corrosive material on/in the keg or the keg was damaged and somebody fit a new rubber piece on top to cover it up.

I'd double check that is the true source of the leak but if true the keg is probably scrap. You might be able to weld the leaks closed but that might cost as much or more than buying a used keg to replace it.

Thanks for all the input. Once I have some spare C02 I will test out the keg and figure out exactly what is leaking. I got it used off Craigslist so I know there is a chance the previous owner didn't take care of them.

Thanks for the idea about scrapping parts if it isn't working.

Thus far my other two kegs are doing great. No leaks, C02 pressure is holding so I am just waiting for the C02 to work its magic.
-Donde

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 09:55:03 pm »
If you keg is truly leaking from the seam where the rubber meets the steel, it's pretty much toast. That means there is a leak below the rubber someplace and it is working its way out.

Did you buy the kegs from a reputable place?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 07:15:38 am »
It does sound like someone used a corrosive in the keg, probably chlorine bleach, and let it set for too long. I have been told the corrosion tales place at the air liquid interface. Get a small mirror and see if you can see some rust or corrosion on the inside. It does sound like it is not a good keg anymore. The fermenter suggestion is good, or use it as a sanitizer vessel on brew day to sanitize bits and pieces.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 09:03:39 am »
If you keg is truly leaking from the seam where the rubber meets the steel, it's pretty much toast. That means there is a leak below the rubber someplace and it is working its way out.

Did you buy the kegs from a reputable place?

I bought this one from a guy off Craigslist. Like I said before, if it is toast then that's the way it goes. At least I will have some spare parts and a better knowledge base for testing kegs I buy in the future.
-Donde

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 09:05:35 am »
It does sound like someone used a corrosive in the keg, probably chlorine bleach, and let it set for too long. I have been told the corrosion tales place at the air liquid interface. Get a small mirror and see if you can see some rust or corrosion on the inside. It does sound like it is not a good keg anymore. The fermenter suggestion is good, or use it as a sanitizer vessel on brew day to sanitize bits and pieces.

Thanks for the tips on what not to use when cleaning and how to check for leaks.
-Donde

Offline Stevie

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20:03 am »
A bit of a bummer. Can use it for cleaning. It should hold pressure well enough to push cleaner through lines.