Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Commercial Bottle Tasting  (Read 2871 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Commercial Bottle Tasting
« on: September 11, 2016, 05:21:17 pm »
I hosted a bottle tasting last night. 5 of brought several high end beers to the mix where we all got a 4-5oz pour of each. These are some killers beers.

We mighta went a little overboard   ::)
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Commercial Bottle Tasting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 05:26:53 pm »
Sounds like fun. Those are some tasty beers there!
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 05:41:25 pm »
IMO, the Hoppin Frog TORIS was the best. It's one of ohio's first over 12% beer. It's incredible.
Frank

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 07:48:05 pm »
Just visited my folks in Akron fmader,  and they gave me an article from the reaky urinal (you know the paper I mean, I'm sure) all about Hoppin Frog's 10th anniversary. Unfortunately,  I had no time to search out the T.O.R.I.S, but I think I still have a lead on it here in the Cincy market.  Gonna have to try to get it tomorrow.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 06:51:14 am »
Just visited my folks in Akron fmader,  and they gave me an article from the reaky urinal (you know the paper I mean, I'm sure) all about Hoppin Frog's 10th anniversary. Unfortunately,  I had no time to search out the T.O.R.I.S, but I think I still have a lead on it here in the Cincy market.  Gonna have to try to get it tomorrow.

LOL I never heard the Beacon Journal called that, but that's a pretty epic name.

Anyways, when you get the TORIS, you will want to share it with somebody. I dunno maybe not. But when you pour it, hold it a couple inches over the glass and pour slowly right down the middle. It's so thick, that it pours like a bead of silk into the glass. The head is the darkest head I've ever seen on a beer. If you swirl the glass after you've drank it down a bit, it coats the glass like a merlot. I have another bottle that I set back to age, but I might have to get a few more to put back.

The bill was passed 3 months ago, so I'm not sure if Hoppin Frog began brewing it then, or if they have brewed it for out of state purposes. I didn't think you could have gotten much better than their BORIS, this might have done it. I gave it 4.75 stars on Untappd. I'm not quite sure why I didn't give it a 5.
Frank

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 12:42:40 pm »
I found 2 bottles today for a little under $30 total, should be worth it after reading your review and knowing that it clocks in at 13.8%ABV. Will definitely be sharing this beast. I dont know why I have always just kind of passed their beers over when shopping, even when I lived in Cleveland. Will have to start trying some more of their offerings after reading that newspaper article. Thanks for posting
ps, I think it was originally the reaking urinal to more closely match the name of the paper. My parents still save all the cool beer articles out of it for me though(yes, they still have a paper subscription!)
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 08:18:47 pm »
This thread just makes me feel bad that I sometimes get the Ohio Franks mixed up.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 11:39:09 pm »
I found 2 bottles today for a little under $30 total, should be worth it after reading your review and knowing that it clocks in at 13.8%ABV. Will definitely be sharing this beast. I dont know why I have always just kind of passed their beers over when shopping, even when I lived in Cleveland. Will have to start trying some more of their offerings after reading that newspaper article. Thanks for posting
ps, I think it was originally the reaking urinal to more closely match the name of the paper. My parents still save all the cool beer articles out of it for me though(yes, they still have a paper subscription!)

It's weird but I pass on their beers often too. I think it's primarily due to the fact that they only sell bombers. When I do buy them, it's usually some version of BORIS. I just recently had one of their hoppy beers for the first time. I've really been sketchy at the freshness of their bombers on the shelf only because I don't think they move quickly. A local pub had Gangster Frog on tap. It was really good. Very sticky. I bought the Hop Heathen Black IPA pictured above too. It was fresh and was very good. Tasted like a black version of Gangster Frog. Enjoy the TORIS and let us know what you think!
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:40:46 pm »
This thread just makes me feel bad that I sometimes get the Ohio Franks mixed up.

Yeah, well, we all can't be perfect.  ;)
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 11:44:55 pm »
Also wanted to give a shout out to AmandaK for shipping me the Nebraska Sexy Betty for the Spring Swap. That beer is also amazing. It was the first that we cracked open because I've been anticipating it so long. It's a RIS aged in brandy barrels. This beer will blow your mind. The nose of this beer is roast and heavy tart cherries, but the flavor isn't so much that. It is rich, chocolate with a sweet Brandy finish. I so wish this was locally available.
Frank

Offline 69franx

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 09:16:48 pm »
Just tried one tonight Frank. Every bit as good as your review. Totally amazed how slow it settles after sipping.. It just coated my glass with lovely oatmeal, brown goodness. And feeling it after half a bomber.
Frank L.