Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to BIAB (in a picnic cooler)--need some advice  (Read 2337 times)

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
New to BIAB (in a picnic cooler)--need some advice
« on: September 12, 2016, 05:22:00 am »
These days I brew 10gal batches nearly exclusively these days and am stepping up from a 10 gal cylindrical cooler w/ a false bottom to a 70qt Coleman Xtreme Marine and a fitted voile bag.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what (if anything) folks put in the bottom of their cooler to aid in runoff collection. Seems some people use nothing while at least person mentioned using some sort of a stainless steel rack.  Currently I am not planning on rigging up any kind of a hoist to suspend the bag, but that seems to be another strategy.

Any photos, descriptions or pointers to other threads would be extremely helpful in my planning.

Thankyou

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New to BIAB (in a picnic cooler)--need some advice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:04:07 am »
I don't BIAB, but I imagine the bag and grain plugging the holes could be a real possibility. Are you also adding a valve, tubing, and some sort of filter like a bazooka or hose braid? Most cooler type BIAB setups I see are essentially batch sparge setups with a bag.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 08:49:03 am »
I do the batch sparge with a bag setup. I have a ~1' SS braid at the bottom of mine that goes to a bulkhead/ball valve. Honestly, it's probably not necessary as the bag filters better than the braid does but it does seem to help with efficiently running the wort out of the cooler.

One option I've heard is to just pull the bag back away from the outlet hole slightly (tie it off with a bungie or something) so that it doesn't clog. I've also heard of just jamming a SS spoon down near the outlet hole so the bag doesn't get pulled in during run off. A bazooka screen would work too. The one think I caution when using a braid or screen is to watch for sharp metal edges if you cut your own SS braid - they can rip your bag pretty good if you aren't careful.

Ultimately, whatever you use (or don't), it won't change your resultant beer one bit - you should choose whatever solution is the least pain in your neck (and I hear you about not wanting to hoist the bag - I refuse to do that).

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:09:43 am »
I listened to a seminar from the guy who owns Brew in a Bag and he said the bag is all you need. Ultra fine filter. I wouldnt do anything. Run it off and boil! I found it hear https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/
2014 Brew in a bag Method.

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 12:16:44 pm »
Most cooler type BIAB setups I see are essentially batch sparge setups with a bag.

Thanks.  This is what I cannot tell for sure.  If they're using a full manifold, that seems excessive but I'd imagine you're need something...

Right now I'm thinking about simply putting something like this in the bottom https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Cooling-Roasting-Cookies-Perfectly/dp/B00H94EPJ2

Ultimately, whatever you use (or don't), it won't change your resultant beer one bit - you should choose whatever solution is the least pain in your neck

That's the impression I'm getting too--BIAB is going to be pretty forgiving no matter what.

I listened to a seminar from the guy who owns Brew in a Bag and he said the bag is all you need. Ultra fine filter. I wouldnt do anything. Run it off and boil! I found it hear https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/
2014 Brew in a bag Method.

Thanks!. That's what the maker of the bag suggests too.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:40:33 pm »
Just a thought, could you use the false bottom from your old cooler?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 06:32:44 pm »
Just a thought, could you use the false bottom from your old cooler?

Good idea!  This actually occurred to me a while ago but then I forgot about it :o

I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Thanks!