Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fake beer help  (Read 2094 times)

Offline jennyrebecca

• 1st Kit
fake beer help
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:05:06 pm »
I have asked around, and realized I need people with an understanding of how a keg works. I have to fill a commercial manual pump keg with instant iced tea and a bit of yellow food dye to make fake beer for a theatre show. Got the expertise to open the keg. Have a manual pump. I just need the liquid to come out. I do not need carbonation, and believe me, they won't spring for a CO2 maker anyway.Will pumping the keg be enough to make the tea come out??? People keep saying CO2 does that, but I don't think so. The air from the pumping should do it, right? please help me, brew people!!!!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: fake beer help
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:23:02 pm »
No experience with kegging, but thanks for the post. You should get plenty of help though
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:40:53 pm »
Yes, as long as you assemble the keg correctly, the bronco pump will get "beer" to flow.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 10:09:37 pm »
Yes, the air pressure from the pump will force the liquid out of the keg, provided you have it assembled correctly (as was said before).
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 05:41:04 am »
Tell them that you learned that this is impossible and that you need to get a real keg of beer then drink it at the after party.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 12:00:08 pm »
Don't expect realistic head from this approach, however.   ;)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 12:03:29 pm »
I know you say you have the expertise to open the keg, but make certain you depressurize it first.  Please.

For your purpose, there is no practical difference between pressure from pumping in air or pressure from pumping in CO2.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 02:45:49 pm »
Don't remove the spear from the keg. Take the tap and unscrew the beverage and gas line. It will look like this:

Pop out the two little springs and balls that act as check valves.

Then take a funnel small enough to fit in the top opening, depress the lever to engage the spear (this will also depressurize keg) and pour your tea down the center of the funnel into the spear and down into the keg.

Then replace check valves. Way easier than removing spears.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 09:34:15 pm »
Not a bad idea, Major, except for that in the play the actors will probably have to actually drink the fake beer.  If she just pours her tea down into the keg, and then pumps it back out, chances are that the actors will have a hard time "enjoying" what comes back out...

:o

I second Pete's idea about getting a real keg of beer, as long as you're not breaking any laws doing so.  I don't know how beverage laws mix with theatre, or the ages of the actors involved.  Good luck!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 04:57:09 am »
Not a bad idea, Major, except for that in the play the actors will probably have to actually drink the fake beer.  If she just pours her tea down into the keg, and then pumps it back out, chances are that the actors will have a hard time "enjoying" what comes back out...

I second Pete's idea about getting a real keg of beer, as long as you're not breaking any laws doing so.  I don't know how beverage laws mix with theatre, or the ages of the actors involved.  Good luck!

Not sure what you think the difference is between doing what I suggested and removing the spear (except that my method is much easier and safer). This is the way pros add stuff to kegs all the time.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 05:18:00 am »

Its assumed in that case he will be
Not sure what you think the difference is between doing what I suggested and removing the spear (except that my method is much easier and safer). This is the way pros add stuff to kegs all the time.

Can you drain and clean the keg without taking it apart? Perhaps thats what the reply was based on.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 04:23:59 pm »
Yep, I realized I left out the key missing piece of info.  I was thinking that an old keg should be cleaned out pretty well before putting in the fake beer.  Otherwise you're going to have who knows what kind of funky, skunky old crud down there.