Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 23  (Read 3158 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 23
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 09:41:42 am »
Good on ya!  I'll let Russell know you brewed it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 11:03:51 am »
Here's Russell's reply....

That's pretty close to my recipe, keep it simple. I'd pop a dash of carapils in there to help counteract any head loss from any oil residuals. It does taste way better than it has any right to.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 11:59:19 am »
Here's Russell's reply....

That's pretty close to my recipe, keep it simple. I'd pop a dash of carapils in there to help counteract any head loss from any oil residuals. It does taste way better than it has any right to.

Cool, thanks for playing go-between Denny! I did notice the issues with head retention, so that's a good idea. I'm gonna try tweaking a few things and if I get around to doing this again I'll let you guys know how it turned out.

Offline bdawg62

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 09:22:24 am »
I also brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of this beer.  3# 2 row and 1.5# of Cool Ranch Doritos with 15IBUs of Cascade and then fermented with 1056.  I skimmed the oil off of the top of the wort prior to boiling and the resulting flavor after carbonation and a couple of weeks of conditioning is nice.  A very good cream ale with just a hint of cool ranch in the aftertaste, no problem drinking a 12oz bottle.  Head retention however is a problem with this one as expected.

Glad to hear I wasn't alone on this one.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 09:58:11 am »
I also brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of this beer.  3# 2 row and 1.5# of Cool Ranch Doritos with 15IBUs of Cascade and then fermented with 1056.  I skimmed the oil off of the top of the wort prior to boiling and the resulting flavor after carbonation and a couple of weeks of conditioning is nice.  A very good cream ale with just a hint of cool ranch in the aftertaste, no problem drinking a 12oz bottle.  Head retention however is a problem with this one as expected.

Glad to hear I wasn't alone on this one.

Thank you for the report!

www.dennybrew.com