Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeasts that I should avoid  (Read 2511 times)

Offline wmsouthworth

• Cellarman
  • Mr. Bill
Yeasts that I should avoid
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:13:56 pm »
I'm planning my first Belgian Strong golden ale, not sure why it has taken me 20 years to get around to making a Belgian style beer. Anyway, I seriuosly dislike bubble gum and banana esters. I like other fruity esters in moderation and a bit of clove is OK. What yeasts should I avoid? What yeasts should I consider?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Yeasts that I should avoid
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:23:22 pm »
Pitch plenty of yeast (make a starter) and ferment cool in the 60s, and you shouldn't really have any problem with any of the major Belgian yeasts available on the market.  My favorite is WLP530 but they're all good, and that one is not overly banana or clove.

Certainly avoid any German hefeweizen strains.

I intend to try the Unibroue yeast at some point, that one is Wyeast 3864, for the express reason that it DOES have more fruity and spicy characteristics than many others, so that might be one that you would want to avoid.  Fortunately for you, and unfortunately for me, I do not believe it is widely available anyway.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 03:32:11 pm »
Why would you use a hefe yeast for a BGSA?

Mr. Bill, you want WY1388.  It's Duvel yeast and Duvel is the classic BGSA.  Little to no fruitiness.  I love and I think you will, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wmsouthworth

• Cellarman
  • Mr. Bill
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 04:36:44 pm »
Dave and Denny, thank you for the tips and suggestions. I will split the batch and try both strains. Time to buy another flask.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 04:48:08 pm »
+1 to WY 1388. Great strain that produces great beers.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 11:53:27 am »
I intend to try the Unibroue yeast at some point, that one is Wyeast 3864, for the express reason that it DOES have more fruity and spicy characteristics than many others, so that might be one that you would want to avoid.  Fortunately for you, and unfortunately for me, I do not believe it is widely available anyway.

Unibroue is easily cultured from the bottle.  Get yourself a four-pack, enjoy, and make a starter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:02:00 pm »
Unibroue is easily cultured from the bottle.  Get yourself a four-pack, enjoy, and make a starter.

This is actually a mega-excellent idea!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 05:45:21 pm »
1388 all day, mr. Conn needs a like button on this one.  I agree, hefe  yeast would not get you the balance you need for bgsa

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 09:33:24 am »
I'm planning my first Belgian Strong golden ale, not sure why it has taken me 20 years to get around to making a Belgian style beer.

I think

Anyway, I seriuosly dislike bubble gum and banana esters.

Probably explains a lot of it.  8)

1388 will be a great option for you due to it's milder Belgian profile. However, many/most Belgian strains can be manipulated through technique (e.g. pitching rate, aeration, temperature) to adjust the ester and phenol profile. 1388 is more forgiving about staying within a milder profile which makes it a good candidate for your needs. It's the opposite of 1214 which is finicky and can be extremely expressive.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing