Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When do I add a fruit infussion?  (Read 975 times)

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
When do I add a fruit infussion?
« on: September 15, 2016, 04:42:01 pm »
I have been enjoying a beer from New Belgium.  CITRADELIC, Tangerine IPA.  I am quite impressed with it. It would fit in my home brew lineup because I enjoy citrusy beers, Citrus Mistress is another.  I would like to take one of my existing recipes and infuse some orange or tangerine peel.  My question is, at what stage of brewing do I add the puree or pieces of peel and approximately how much per 5 gallon? 
AHA Member 900001775

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: When do I add a fruit infussion?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:45:37 pm »
Have not done it myself, but I would suggest near end of primary or in secondary if you can purge the secondary. If you add it during the boil, most will say that you will lose a lot of the aromatics during fermentation. Surprised no one else has chimed in yet. I'm sure those with experience will have more informed answers for you tomorrow. Good luck, as I liked Citradelic myself
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:03:48 pm »
I did an APA with sweet orange peel added with 5 min left in the boil.  I had some orange flavor, but I do think I lost a lot of the flavor and aroma in the last few minutes of the boil and then during fermentation.  When I brew it again, I will still add it in the boil, but also plan to add a few ounces of peel that has been soaked in vodka when I dry hop to get more from it.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 12:39:34 pm »
I have had great luck with hop additions at 170 degree whirlpool.  In fact, FWH and that later addition is all I ever do anymore for Pale Ale's and IPA's.  I wonder if that would be a good time to add the puree or even sooner to aid the cooling process.
AHA Member 900001775