Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbing while lagering  (Read 3426 times)

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
Carbing while lagering
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 06:16:49 pm »
I just bottled a batch tonight and that basically answered the question for me. In the bottle it has the carb first, then lager. I like kegging so much more. This beer won't be drinkable for 2 months. I'm not a patient man. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most lagers are drinkable within 2-4 weeks. Even bocks and doppelbocks don't need 2 months. In fact, after 2 months you may have missed the peak of freshness. This idea of lagering beer for months is mostly outdated except in the case of sour beers and some high gravity exceptions like barley wines

It seems everytime I rush a brew to the glass I feel like it really comes in right about the time the keg blows.

I'm not saying "rush". If you handle a fermentation right there is no benefit to extra extended aging. If you are finining then I can understand the long time it takes to drop yeast out of suspension though. Two months for  alight lager though is an awful long time.

The 2 months is total time. I figure 2 weeks ferment, 4 weeks lager, 2 weeks carb. That's why I asked the question. If I can let it lager for two weeks then gas it for the remaining two it would save me two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Carbing while lagering
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 08:56:17 am »
I carb while lagering all the time.  perfectly fine to do so.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Carbing while lagering
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 06:42:42 am »
I carb while lagering too.

From touring several German breweries, once they get the beer matured in the tanks, instead of waiting for the yeast to fall out, they filter. Time is money!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!