Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How fast should you cold crash?  (Read 8711 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: How fast should you cold crash?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 09:56:04 am »
What's harder on the compressor though, a sustained on time, or cycling on and off for an even longer period of time?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 10:01:16 am »
What's harder on the compressor though, a sustained on time, or cycling on and off for an even longer period of time?

good question.  the freezer walls (outside) get extremely hot when I try to drop all the way, whereas dropping 5 degrees at a clip barely takes more than 20-25 min, so I've always just felt that it was less stressful.

most of my crash is done in a keg though under head pressure, and kegs are dropped into a chest freezer that is already at ~35df.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 10:30:58 am »
My keezer runs for hours when I drop a warm keg in. Freezer operating instructions say to run for 24 hours before loading, so I'm sure they can handle it.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 12:11:59 pm »
the freezer walls (outside) get extremely hot when I try to drop all the way, whereas dropping 5 degrees at a clip barely takes more than 20-25 min, so I've always just felt that it was less stressful.

Me too

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 12:47:51 pm »
I've done the slow drop and a straight to 32ish drops and have not noticed a difference in the resultant beer. I also did not pay attention to the workload it put on my chest freezer, so no input there. Both ways were done after FG reached though, so as already mentioned, it should have had no effect
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)