Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stoneware Bottles  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Bomber 22

• Cellarman
Stoneware Bottles
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:27:31 pm »
Not sure if anyone here has ever bottled their beer in any type of stoneware/ceramic/clay.  I was scoping out the 22 ounce beer section of my local (Texas) liquor store and saw some inexpensive stoneware beer bombers. The beer is actually capped and has the swingtop/gasket laying open.  I thought.. or am hoping that these will be good to bottle in as they may be good for gifts and such. 

Thought maybe some may find this a good deal for bottling.  The beer was only $3 each around these parts though I'm not sure if they were distributed nationally or not.  Here is the beer...

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/183/589/

I'm actually a bit surprised at the rating.  For my taste it just seemed like a light beer flavor with a high alcohol content.  Not bad, just plain.  ...but I figure at $3 I get a big bottle of beer and hopefully a reusable bottling vessel.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: Stoneware Bottles
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 06:45:40 pm »
I had a few of those same bottles, and like you, used them as gifts.  I always got them back though and bottled special beers in them.  The most important thing is to keep them clean - never leave them open with residue in them.  A soak in oxyclean will loosen up anything in there, and then the bottle washer does the rest.  Rinse them out really well each time and you can be fairly confident that they're clean.

Unfortunately I had some in a soft-sided cooler when the strap broke.  They didn't survive.   :(  I got mine empty from a buddy so I can't comment on the beer though.  You can buy replacement gaskets if those get stiff or cracked.

Offline Bomber 22

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:24:49 pm »
Good to hear some tried and true bottling with these things.  They are pretty cool looking.  Certainly are heavy bottles (make you think you have a lot more beer left than you actually do!). 

Beer flavor is not bad imho.  Just not as exceptional as it was rated.  Worth the $3 because of the bonus bottle.

I had a few of those same bottles, and like you, used them as gifts.  I always got them back though and bottled special beers in them.  The most important thing is to keep them clean - never leave them open with residue in them.  A soak in oxyclean will loosen up anything in there, and then the bottle washer does the rest.  Rinse them out really well each time and you can be fairly confident that they're clean.

Unfortunately I had some in a soft-sided cooler when the strap broke.  They didn't survive.   :(  I got mine empty from a buddy so I can't comment on the beer though.  You can buy replacement gaskets if those get stiff or cracked.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:43:24 pm »
Yeah, those bottles are definitely unique and worth having in the stash.  I was impressed with the smoothness of the glaze on the inside.  I might have to pick up a couple more just for the heck of it.  Plus, for those of us who keg, bail-top bottles are pretty convenient because there's one less step in sanitizing and one less piece of equipment to worry about!