Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hop @ 34 F?  (Read 2848 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Dry Hop @ 34 F?
« on: September 17, 2016, 10:39:32 am »
In an email exchange with John Kimmich, he suggested dry hopping my Heady Topper clone at 34 F. Dry hop no more than 5 days and no less than 4.

Does anyone dry hop at serving temperature? From what I have read, most dry hop at ambient (say 70 F).

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Dry Hop @ 34 F?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 10:53:13 am »
We homebrewers tend to dry hop at ambient because we usually do it in the fermenter or if we use one, a secondary/bright tank. Most of the time, we cold crash only for the few days before kegging, but have dry hopped much earlier.  I personally have dry hopped in the keg many times, but even then I would leave the hop sack in there until the keg kicks.  I never really thought about dry hopping it cold and pulling them before kegging.
I think it would be a really good experiment to try a split batch dry hopping 1/2 when its already cold and the other half while its still warm, using the same hops and same beer.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 11:03:13 am »
I have heard of others dry hopping at those colder temps as well. But have yet to try it. The coolest I have gone is 60F with good results.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 11:06:28 am »
I always dry hop at that temp.  There are a lot of places that suggest that, including wholesaler SS Steiner.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 11:11:20 am »
I always dry hop at that temp.  There are a lot of places that suggest that, including wholesaler SS Steiner.

At 34F, or 60F?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 11:40:45 am »

At 34F, or 60F?

34F
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 12:22:34 pm »
I have dry hopped successfully (I think) in the serving keg at 38-42*.  I'm currently drinking an APA I've named Aardvark Piss (making it APAPA ::) ) that has 2.5 oz. of Cascade in a mesh bag in the keg.  It's tasting really good at six weeks since kegging.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 12:48:51 pm »
I have dry hopped successfully (I think) in the serving keg at 38-42*.  I'm currently drinking an APA I've named Aardvark Piss (making it APAPA ::) ) that has 2.5 oz. of Cascade in a mesh bag in the keg.  It's tasting really good at six weeks since kegging.

I've been keg hopping for a while. Usually I hold at room temp for 5 days, but I often add extra hops to the keg when aroma drops off, and that's at around 40F. I like the aroma from both temps, with the colder addition taking longer to extract obviously.
Jon H.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 02:14:10 pm »

I've been keg hopping for a while. Usually I hold at room temp for 5 days, but I often add extra hops to the keg when aroma drops off, and that's at around 40F. I like the aroma from both temps, with the colder addition taking longer to extract obviously.
So you keg dry hop at room temp 5 days then put it in the kegerator and get it down to 40*.  Then open the keg and put in more hops.  How much hops per step is your norm?  Oh, and whole or pellets?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 02:55:21 pm »

So you keg dry hop at room temp 5 days then put it in the kegerator and get it down to 40*.  Then open the keg and put in more hops.  How much hops per step is your norm?  Oh, and whole or pellets?

Yep. I use pellets. Usually 2.5 -3 oz/ 5 gallons for APA, 4-6 oz for AIPA initially. Then when the aroma drops off, a couple more oz.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:03:42 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 10:07:26 am »
In case its not been made clear in this thread, ALWAYS use a hop sack when dry hopping in the keg.  The alternative is a stainless steel mesh screen or stainless steel scrubby on the bottom of the dip tube.  (Stainless only, don't use copper).  IMO, hop bags make cleanup easier.

You WILL plug up your keg posts if you don't, even with pellets. 
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 10:19:28 am »
In case its not been made clear in this thread, ALWAYS use a hop sack when dry hopping in the keg.  The alternative is a stainless steel mesh screen or stainless steel scrubby on the bottom of the dip tube.  (Stainless only, don't use copper).  IMO, hop bags make cleanup easier.

You WILL plug up your keg posts if you don't, even with pellets. 

Definitely. I should've reiterated that. Don't need any new 'clogged post' threads on account of me.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline Jimc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 07:57:27 am »
So i brewed 10 gal of an IPA 2 weeks ago racked for secondary  into 2 glass carboys sun the 18th. recipie said to dry hop 5-7 days and then i will Keg. I will b using pellet hops what would b the best way to get hops in and out of carboy i have never dry hopped in a carboy any suggestions?  Thanks.