Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Converting all grain to extract.  (Read 1375 times)

Offline jim atlas

• 1st Kit
Converting all grain to extract.
« on: September 17, 2016, 02:02:01 pm »
So, I've been brewing for about nine years-- but never have used extract.  Oddly enough, I'm wanting to (don't ask).    Question is, how do I convert my recipe to use extract in place of base malt? 
So I'd use 27# base malt and 3# Crystal in a all grain brew and get 15.5 gal at 14.5°.  No if I'm using extract, would I steep those same 3# to get the same flavor profile of 9.9% in a mash?
When choosing grains to add in with extract, how do I determine the amount to use?
Not sure if this makes sense...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Converting all grain to extract.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:11:42 pm »
Yeah, step the crystal malt you were using for AG.  To replace the base malt, use the lightest DME you can get.  That way you know they won't have added extra grain.  DME has about 45 ppg., so base the amount to use on that and your OG.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Converting all grain to extract.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 07:27:36 pm »
What I do is take my AG efficiency, multiply it by the ag weight of the base malt in lbs and multiply that by 35 (max extraction for the grain). 
So, as an example if I have 10 lbs of 2 row, and my efficiency is 75%, i figure I'll have 10x.75x35   = 262.5 gravity points.
Take that number and divide it by 45 (because extract packs 45 points per pound) and that will give you the number of pounds of extract you need to replace the 2 row

in this case,  262.5 / 45 = 5.83 lbs.  of pale DME.
(If you are using LME, divide by 36 instead.)
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge