Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kolsch grain bill  (Read 11095 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: kolsch grain bill
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2016, 08:47:06 am »
I'm not saying don't try it I'm saying that it won't have that kölsch-like character. I know this from experience and one thing I am pretty knowledgeable about is Kölsch brewing. FTR my kölsch won 2nd best in the state out of 162 beer judged. (BJCP judged contest and that was based on overall scored.)

Also, WY1007 used to be my house yeast for 3 years. I brewed with it daily and know it like the back of my hand. It is as lagerish an ale yeast as there is. I used to have Germans come up to me and tell me that my "lagers" were as authentic as they had tasted outside of Germany. So I know for fact that that strain is too clean for a kölsch.  But it will make a delicious beer! BUt it won't have that "wine like" Kölsch characteristic.

I stand corrected.  Well done, Keith!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2016, 10:30:54 am »
I'm not saying don't try it I'm saying that it won't have that kölsch-like character. I know this from experience and one thing I am pretty knowledgeable about is Kölsch brewing. FTR my kölsch won 2nd best in the state out of 162 beer judged. (BJCP judged contest and that was based on overall scored.)

Also, WY1007 used to be my house yeast for 3 years. I brewed with it daily and know it like the back of my hand. It is as lagerish an ale yeast as there is. I used to have Germans come up to me and tell me that my "lagers" were as authentic as they had tasted outside of Germany. So I know for fact that that strain is too clean for a kölsch.  But it will make a delicious beer! BUt it won't have that "wine like" Kölsch characteristic.

I stand corrected.  Well done, Keith!
It sounds like the K-97 might make a great beer if not exactly a Kolsch and I have a packet sitting in the fridge.  When I get the saison out of the ferm chamber, I'm going to give it a try and report back.

Major, What fermentation temp schedule would you recommend for 1007/K-97 ?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:37:00 am by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2016, 11:08:52 am »
My latest kolsch has been lagering for about 4 wks now and I have been enjoying for about 10 days. I now know that if I brew a 10 gallon batch with this recipe, I can bang out a decent helles and kolsch at the same time using the exact same recipe. Good to know for when I upgrade to 10 gallons (if ever). Surprisingly, this kolsch batch (second gen yeast) cleared much faster than the initial pitch into my cream ale.
So it sounds like the main thing for a Kolsch is the yeast.  Would Safale K-97 German ale yeast work OK for a Kolsch?  Medium attenuation, low flocculation.  Seems a little like WY1007, no?

I've never used that strain before it may work. But the yeast is the key. WLP029 and WY1056 are excellent choices for this style. WY1007 just isn't the same and won't give you that subtle but distinctive "kölschy" style. I'd recommend trying those strains first so you get an idea of what to expect.
Did you mean WY2565 ?  The WYeast strain guide lists 1056 as "American Ale".

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2016, 11:10:00 am »
My latest kolsch has been lagering for about 4 wks now and I have been enjoying for about 10 days. I now know that if I brew a 10 gallon batch with this recipe, I can bang out a decent helles and kolsch at the same time using the exact same recipe. Good to know for when I upgrade to 10 gallons (if ever). Surprisingly, this kolsch batch (second gen yeast) cleared much faster than the initial pitch into my cream ale.
So it sounds like the main thing for a Kolsch is the yeast.  Would Safale K-97 German ale yeast work OK for a Kolsch?  Medium attenuation, low flocculation.  Seems a little like WY1007, no?

I've never used that strain before it may work. But the yeast is the key. WLP029 and WY1056 are excellent choices for this style.  I'd recommend trying those strains first so you get an idea of what to expect.

You really think you can get an authentic kolsch with WY 1056?  In my experience, that strain does not provide any kolsch-like characteristics. WL 029 and WY 2565 seem to be the best ones out there for me.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2016, 11:10:45 am »

I've never used that strain before it may work. But the yeast is the key. WLP029 and WY1056 are excellent choices for this style. WY1007 just isn't the same and won't give you that subtle but distinctive "kölschy" style. I'd recommend trying those strains first so you get an idea of what to expect.
Did you mean WY2565 ?  The WYeast strain guide lists 1056 as "American Ale".

Ha!  You beat me to it. He must mean 2565.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2016, 04:10:05 pm »
WY2565 - it was early this morning and I drank a fair share of whiskey last night. ;)

Fermentation temps for WY1007 -  have fermented as low as 54 degrees with no problems. I used to start out about 56 and then finish off at 64-66.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2016, 05:07:02 pm »
WY2565 - it was early this morning and I drank a fair share of whiskey last night. ;)

Wait a minute...You drink other things besides beer?

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2016, 08:09:32 pm »

Fermentation temps for WY1007 -  have fermented as low as 54 degrees with no problems. I used to start out about 56 and then finish off at 64-66.
Wow, that's pretty lager-ish.  I'll try that with K-97 and see what happens.  Thanks