Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The unappreciated American Brown Ale  (Read 9079 times)

Offline waldo711

• 1st Kit
Re: The unappreciated American Brown Ale
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2016, 02:49:03 pm »
I like Amarillo late in brown ales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2016, 03:02:15 pm »
Well, I found the recipe:

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle

AND it turns out that I have all of the hops on hand, since I grow all of those varieties (except Magnum).  Looks like it would be worth a shot.

DO IT!  A tip....the best versions of it use Chateau Choc. malt 350L.  I've used other chocolates and it's very good.  The Chateau makes it incredible.

I somehow forgot to buy Chinook when I got my ingredients for Noti Brown Ale...and I only have EKG, Citra and Amarillo in the freezer.  Sub with EKG or skip the whirlpool addition?

Skip it and dry hop with Chinook
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline waldo711

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2016, 03:15:55 pm »
Well, I found the recipe:

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle

AND it turns out that I have all of the hops on hand, since I grow all of those varieties (except Magnum).  Looks like it would be worth a shot.

DO IT!  A tip....the best versions of it use Chateau Choc. malt 350L.  I've used other chocolates and it's very good.  The Chateau makes it incredible.

I somehow forgot to buy Chinook when I got my ingredients for Noti Brown Ale...and I only have EKG, Citra and Amarillo in the freezer.  Sub with EKG or skip the whirlpool addition?

Skip it and dry hop with Chinook

Excellent...thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2016, 03:24:26 pm »
I like the late/dry Centennial in Janet's Brown, but I've subbed in other hops like Amarillo, Chinook, Mosaic and others and made good beer.
Jon H.

Offline bwmac256

• 1st Kit
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2016, 03:41:08 pm »
I've been making DC's Noti brown for a few years now with 1 lb of wild rice.  The wild rice adds nutty flavors to the beer.  Ready to tap the keg next week!

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2016, 06:29:15 am »
Timely activity!  Brewed DMTaylor's Petes clone yesterday.  I had to bump it up slightly to hit OG of 1.052.  Pete must have been getting some wicked efficiency...   ::)

Myself, I am not a fan of c type hops with roasted malts.  I stuck with Brewer's Gold and happy I did, they seemed fresh.  Kinda funny I remember these and other hops like cluster being so cheap compared to popular hops.  Not anymore!   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2016, 05:52:56 am »
I love brown ales. I made a recipe trying to copy Bell's Best Brown. The first batch was good but I felt it needed something. The second batch was a complete failure and tasted like fruity diarrhea. I dumped the whole keg. haha. I have been gun shy about brewing a brown ever since. 

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2016, 08:35:15 am »
Sounds like an obvious infection.  Ditch the plastic, tear down keg, and clean and sanitize everything.  It is very hard to go wrong on a brown ale as it is very open to interpretation.  I had a few in the past with black patent or roast barley that I didn't care for but 'twas still decent beer. 

Mine is basically done.  I will give it a few more days to clean up and then crash.  Will probably hit the tap next weekend.  Initial hydro taste was excellent.  Very balanced, no real overpowering roast.  I am also impressed with the hops.  I have always wanted to come up with something very reminiscent of Fosters ESB and I think the BG would be a good fit for the late hop bill.  I am not gonna fool with sourcing Pride of Ringwood.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2016, 12:29:31 pm »
Real quick update.  Just kegged mine and this beer is NICE!  I am ecstatic I made this.  Perfect for fall! 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2016, 12:34:56 pm »
Real quick update.  Just kegged mine and this beer is NICE!  I am ecstatic I made this.  Perfect for fall! 

One of my favorite fall styles.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2016, 12:43:04 pm »

Just kegged mine this morning and tasted a bit of what didn't fit in the kegs.  Perfect American brown.  Malty and cocoa and nutty with an american hop flavor.  Can't wait for this one to go on tap.  Bet yours is money too zwiller - cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2016, 07:18:45 am »
I always think I have my next few brews planned out, only to read a thread like this and totally be pulled in an opposite direction. :D

I'm thinking that Caliente would be nice as a late/dry hop in an American Brown. I might need to make this happen soon.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 08:49:35 am »
Yes, I got pulled too and happy I did!  This beer is just great.  Maybe a little more late hop presence and I would say perfect but I am being REALLY picky.  I will prolly go up a full ounce late instead of 3/4.  Color/malt/body/balance IS perfect.  No way I am changing the Brewers Gold.  I know you guys are fans of C types, but I think the english types just really click in my darker stuff (earthy/leather/spice).  Wifey sampled and gave me the nod, and at my house that means most would not believe I made this beer at home.  As to how close it is to Pete's?  No idea.  I seem to recall Pete's was more bitter (hence the wicked) but that was a long time ago and really think my palette has evolved alot since then.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2016, 09:50:41 am »
I was looking to grow up some yeast for an American barleywine an this thread inspired me to make an Am. brown this past weekend.  It's busy chugging away in the fermenter right now.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2016, 01:22:24 pm »
I have one brewed...10 days old now. I bittered with Columbus and used 1 ounce of Willamette @ 15 min and 2 oz @ 5 min. Here's to hoping I hopped it enough to be considered an American Brown.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408