Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew day mishap  (Read 2707 times)

Offline ridgeline23

• 1st Kit
Brew day mishap
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:31:55 am »
Hello! I was brewing an all grain hop burst IPA last week.  Everything was going fine until 50 min into my 60 min boil.  I was dumping the 6.5 gal of star San from my car boy to my bucket.  My right hand slipped off the carboy and smash. I did not have an extra but my father had a few.  So I stopped my boil there, and picked one up.  2 hours later I returned home, and obviously temp was very low.  So I get boiling again for 10 more min to reach my 60 min boil.  I did not add any hops until 55 min into boil so I figured I was fine.  So my question is, was it ok to start and stop a boil in that fashion?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Brew day mishap
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:51:48 am »
Ideal? No. Likely fine? Sure. If you added hops before stopping, it will be more bitter than you are expecting. Way more bitter.

In the future, don't fill glass carboys to the top with sanitizer and dump them. Add about a half gallon and shake to coat all the surfaces.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:49:40 pm by Stevie »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brew day mishap
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 11:30:11 am »
You can ferment in the kettle too. Just put the lid on. It's already sanitary after boiling. No need for air tight.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 07:27:48 pm »
Ideal? No. Likely fine? Sure. If you added hops before stopping, it will be more bitter than you are expecting. Way more bitter.

In the future, don't fill glass carboys to the top with sanitizer and dump them. Add about a half gallon and shake to coat all the surfaces.

+1... I just use a couple cups in plastic carboys and shake up. I pour about an inch in my buckets and just use a rag and wipe the sides down. Also... lesson learned? Done using glass? You could have slit your wrists and had more than a brew day mishap. Just my two cents  :D
Frank

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 02:27:36 am »

+1... I just use a couple cups in plastic carboys and shake up. I pour about an inch in my buckets and just use a rag and wipe the sides down. Also... lesson learned? Done using glass? You could have slit your wrists and had more than a brew day mishap. Just my two cents  :D

+1 for giving up on glass.  I have to carry my bucket upstairs from the kitchen to the spare room (where my brewfridge lives).  I wouldn't dream of trying to do that with a glass carboy.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 08:41:10 am »

+1 for giving up on glass.  I have to carry my bucket upstairs from the kitchen to the spare room (where my brewfridge lives).  I wouldn't dream of trying to do that with a glass carboy.

Buckets are cool because they have built in handles!
Frank

Offline ridgeline23

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:19:40 am »
Thank you for the input.

Offline bugnout

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 04:07:01 pm »
A regular size milk crate is a great way to handle a 5+ gallon glass carboy safely. Handles make carrying it up and down the basement stairs more secure. When draining the glass carboy, just invert it in the milk crate in the sink so that it can drain unattended.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 06:23:27 pm »
A regular size milk crate is a great way to handle a 5+ gallon glass carboy safely. Handles make carrying it up and down the basement stairs more secure. When draining the glass carboy, just invert it in the milk crate in the sink so that it can drain unattended.

This is what I do when I do a secondary.

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 08:00:00 pm »
Stainless steel Brewbucket by stainless steel brew tech. I love mine and I'm getting another very soon.