Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peanut Butter  (Read 1277 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Peanut Butter
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:21:08 am »
I remember as a kid we had a place called The Peanut Shack which had a peanut butter machine with a hopper fully of roasted peanuts and it spit out a really chunky and oily peanut butter. It had a great flavor, but was far from perfect. We were running out of peanut butter at home, we don't use much, and so I decided to check into one of those machines. Turns out there are two versions. The home version is awful per reviews and the commercial version was far too expensive. I went to the web and figured out everyone makes it in the food processor and supposedly it was super easy. My next trip to Aldi I picked up a jar of dry roasted nuts for perhaps $2 and this morning I whipped out a batch of peanut butter.

Recipe
2 cups dry roasted nuts
3/4 tsp salt (to taste)
1 1/2 tbsp honey (to taste)

Pulse processor until nuts are broken into small pieces. If you want chunky peanut butter remove them now and add back at the very end. Once nuts are broken up run continuously for a minute and scrape down as needed. Repeat twice more. Over the time you will see it change from raw nuts to spreadable peanut butter. Now add salt and honey. Run for two more minutes. At the very end you can add back the nut pieces for chunky just enough to incorporate.

I did smooth today and it tasted awesome. I had planned to make chunky, but added the pieces too early and got smooth.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Peanut Butter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:25:34 am »
Quick update: When first made the peanut butter was warm from friction and flowed easily. We store our PB in the fridge because it takes us a long time to go through a jar normally. After chilling this spread better than some of the natural brands, but not as well as the national brands. You can add some oil to the mix and end up with a smoother and creamier product according to what I have read.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!