Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making a Black IPA  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Making a Black IPA
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 04:51:19 pm »
Ok, after all this talk, I'm brewing a black IPA this fall, been a couple years. Wookey Jack style, I think.

My favorite! Ever try the Patagonia malt they use in that?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 04:54:53 pm »
Ok, after all this talk, I'm brewing a black IPA this fall, been a couple years. Wookey Jack style, I think.

My favorite! Ever try the Patagonia malt they use in that?

Nope, never have. I've heard good things. First time for everything!
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 06:46:24 pm »
Make an IPA, add Sinamar
pragmatic, but spendy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 01:33:26 am »
Sinamar sounds excellent, but looking for it, imposible to find in Spain....! Arggh. Themaltmiller doesnt havent either, any ideas!?

Enviado desde mi YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F mediante Tapatalk

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 04:57:00 am »
Sinamar sounds excellent, but looking for it, imposible to find in Spain....! Arggh. Themaltmiller doesnt havent either, any ideas!?

Enviado desde mi YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F mediante Tapatalk

Maltmiller stocks it, but appears to be out at the moment.  You could mail or tweet them, and ask when they expect to have it back in stock.  They tend to restock most things within a week.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 06:06:01 am »

Probably my favorite transitional season beers.
Frank

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 08:12:18 am »
I really like this beer. Made it a few times now. You hould ry it.
http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/RoseCityBlackIPA

Hey, that's my recipe! I think it's great. I brew BIPA a lot, in part to have two IPAs on tap that are visibly different.

A few things to consider: at this quantity, you will get some flavor from any roasted malt product - carafa spezial II, midnight wheat, sinamar, and blackprinz all have different flavors they provide depending on how you use them. Sinamar will give you the smallest flavor/color ratio. Adding the dark malt to the mash will provide the largest flavor/color ratio.

I like to get the right amount of dark malt (Carafa Spezial II or III) to put me at ~40 SRM, but I add it all at sparge. I batch sparge with coolish water (~150ยบ F)when I make black IPA and let the sparge water steep for 10+ minutes to extract enough color. When the recipe says 40 SRM, I usually get about 30-35 SRM from this process (which is ample). Generally, 1.5 lbs per 6 gal works.

Since you are adding that dark malt flavor, you need to consider other things in recipe development. Going heavy on the sulfate will make the beer more mineral-bitter, which will make people (even experienced BJCP-certified judges) think the beer is too roasty. Don't do this. Keep the mineral profile minimal and balanced. An agressive bittering hop will do the same thing. Use something really smooth like Summit, Apollo, Magnum, or a resin product like HopShot. I like the addition of a little light or medium crystal malt and munich malt in this style - roast by itself will be more prominent than roast balanced by a little "sweet" flavors (though I make it very dry by mashing low and using an American yeast). After that, just brew it like any other IPA. Personally, I like the hop combo of Simcoe + Citrus (Cascade, Amarillo, or Centennial), but whatever tastes great in an IPA will taste good in a BIPA - though it may come across as less fruity due to the smooth roast malt flavor you are getting.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 09:45:34 am »
Make an IPA and turn the lights off?

I kid, I kid.

I've seen various black IPAs made with sinamar, some worked well and others didn't. What are you doing in regards to the other specialty malts Denny?

Same thing I do for most  AIPA....around 10% crystal/Saccgra malt (50-60L) and the rest base malt (usually Rahr).
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 09:47:19 am »
Make an IPA and turn the lights off?

I kid, I kid.

I've seen various black IPAs made with sinamar, some worked well and others didn't. What are you doing in regards to the other specialty malts Denny?

Same as my "normal" AIPA..around 10% crystal 40 or 60 (usually 60) or 10% Sacchra 50 and the rest pale malt (usually Rahr, sometimes Great Western).
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 01:56:52 pm »
For a 5 gallon recipe, my typical black IPA is 7lbs 2-row, 4lbs Munich, 12oz Midnight Wheat. Gets me everything I want in a black IPA. Hop it to your heart's desire. I want a solid malt backbone in my black IPAs.
Jesse

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 03:28:36 pm »
Make an IPA, add Sinamar

If your LHBS carries it, mine doesn't.
I have an article on brewing black versions of pale color beers scheduled to appear in the December (maybe November) issue of BYO and when I conceived it I did plan to include Sinamar, but skipped it because I had everything else I needed and didn't want to spend the money to mail order just that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:30:07 pm by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women