Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Jimc

• 1st Kit
Dry hopping
« on: September 19, 2016, 04:41:08 pm »
I brewed 10 gals of an IPA 2 weeks ago and just racked into 2 - 5 gal carboys i never dry hopped in carboys before
i was going to use muslin bags and suspend it half downing the carboy i have read where its difficult to remove the bag due to expansion when wet, but i was going to dry hop for 5-7 days then rack into kegs, and then i'll deal with getting the bags out later anyone have better ideas my basement is 74* here in Philly. thanks !!!! Jim

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:51:42 pm »
Skip the bags.  You can dry hop without them.  It will be very, very difficult to pull them out of a carboy once they get wet and swell up.  (No need to ask me how I know).
Pellets are better for dry hopping. You can basically just throw them in and they'll settle out so you can rack the beer without disturbing them.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Jimc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:24:42 am »
Thanks,  how long will it take to settle to the bottom?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 05:41:39 am »
I agree with skipping bagging them. Like also mentioned, it varies when they are going to drop out. Could be a few days or could be a couple weeks. Instead of waiting around for them to drop out, I zip tie a knee high stocking to the end of my siphon hose and just filter them out that way.

Are you bottling or kegging? If your kegging, skip the secondary and just dry hop in the keg. If you do dry hop in the keg, use a muslin bag. Actually, I use the knee highs for this too.
Frank

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 04:24:54 pm »
I just call it NE style untill it clears ;)
Dan S. from NJ

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 06:59:51 pm »
If the hop pellets aren't dropped out when you need them to be, just cold crash and they'll sink right to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone in northwest Indiana using Tapatalk

Offline kesweeze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 12:44:10 pm »
Cold crash with pellets is the way to go.

Kevin Sweezey
BJCP Certified Judge

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:44:44 am »
I agree with skipping bagging them. Like also mentioned, it varies when they are going to drop out. Could be a few days or could be a couple weeks. Instead of waiting around for them to drop out, I zip tie a knee high stocking to the end of my siphon hose and just filter them out that way.

Are you bottling or kegging? If your kegging, skip the secondary and just dry hop in the keg. If you do dry hop in the keg, use a muslin bag. Actually, I use the knee highs for this too.

Dry hopping in the keg has provided me with the most aroma and flavor overall. It works amazingly well.
Personally I have done it every way mentioned above and agree the stockings work great.
I never use whole hops to dry hop just because of the lost beer, clogged siphon, and mess.
Stocking as a filter on my autosiphon works well.
I prefer to cold crash, then keg and dry hop in the keg. I also take them out after a week to 10 days because I've had some funky flavors leaving them in there much longer and the impact of them peaks about that time anyway.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 12:28:56 pm »
Thanks,  how long will it take to settle to the bottom?

They usually settle out within a handful of days depending on how much you add. I also gently swirl my fermenter every other day to keep the hops in contact with the beer for better extraction. But usually a 24 hr cold crash will drop all of the pellets out to the bottom.