Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast My Best Friend!  (Read 1290 times)

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
Yeast My Best Friend!
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:02:48 pm »
Good evening to all. So I brewed a .062 pale last week with fresh off the vine cascade wet hops late in the boil and at 185 whirlpool for 20 minutes shooting for 50ibu and used west coast yeast from healthy starter, Can not wait to taste it! My question is I am brewing a Pliny Clone 11 gallon Sunday and would like to use the Yeast Cake from the hopefully bitter. I have never done this before but have read of this process being done many times.
-What should I do?
-What should I Not do to reuse the Cake?
I have been brewing for bout 4 years now love the Craft! Made some damn good beers thanks to this forum!
I would like some advise from those who have Succeeded in this task. I want to split the cake into 2 fermentors.
Thank You for any assistance.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Yeast My Best Friend!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 07:09:42 pm »
Split the cake.  It's probably more than you need, but it will work just fine.

If I was doing it, I'd decant the cake into a sanitized jar and use only a portion of it.  Maybe 1/3 or less.  All depends on the density of the cake and other things, but 1/3 should be more than enough.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:32:39 pm »
It will jump on the job well, as Joe says, but if your Pliny clone is higher alcohol, you can use a little less than a half of the cake.  Depends on the yeast and how "clean" you want the beer to be (generally, the more yeast the less it will produce esters and other yeast derived flavors).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:14:18 am »
I love It When a Plan Comes Together!! Thanks Joe, I believe I will decant into sterilized mason jars based on the average size of cakes from most batches thinking 1/4ing the cake will suffice. Thanks for the quick responses. I will update with progress.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 07:40:45 am »
IF you use glass jars, leave the lid a bit loose so pressure can escape.

I typically use rubbermaid one-liter beverage containers, but I used a mason jar for a cake last night.  Pressure will continue to build for some time.  I"ve had the tops pop open on the rubbermaid containers.  Glass could shatter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 04:42:46 am »
Thanks Joe planning to rack tomorrow and brew Sunday a.m. have mason jars so thanks for the heads up on the lids I would have cranked them down for sure. I cannot wait to taste the Wet Hopped beer from the harvest this year. I used 10oz of fresh Cascade in total hope not too green.