Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B experiment  (Read 3907 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewtan B experiment
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 12:56:46 pm »
I'm going .1g per gallon strike and sparge for mash, and .2 gallon per finished gallon at 15.

Please don't do that.  Please use the amounts and times I listed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 12:57:23 pm »
 Those amounts are based off of Drew's writeup

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 12:59:23 pm »
Those amounts are based off of Drew's writeup

Yes, and he got it wrong.  We discussed it and he's changed the writeup now.  My amounts and times come from the company rep, who is a multi award winning homebrewer. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 01:03:29 pm »
From the write up - "Joe recommends a dosing rate of 1/4 tsp (0.5gm) per 5 gallons of sparge/mash water and 1/2 tsp (1.0gm) dissolved into a beer slurry and added to  the boil at 16 minutes. It's a wee amount!"

Not trying to argue. You say tomato, I say potato. You use volume, I use mass.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 01:22:08 pm »
From the write up - "Joe recommends a dosing rate of 1/4 tsp (0.5gm) per 5 gallons of sparge/mash water and 1/2 tsp (1.0gm) dissolved into a beer slurry and added to  the boil at 16 minutes. It's a wee amount!"

Not trying to argue. You say tomato, I say potato. You use volume, I use mass.

Sorry for the confusion!  Sure, use mass if that's what you like.  But please don't put it in the sparge water.  I think...I'm gonna try to confirm with Joe.

www.dennybrew.com

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 06:09:02 am »
I would interpret those instructions to mean adding at that rate to both strike and sparge water, but I could be wrong....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ParanoidAndroid10

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 09:24:03 am »
Why are Joe's recommendations totally different from the fact sheet on Brewtan from the Manufacturer?

The manufacturer says this about Brewtan:

Mash - 2-4 g/hL  (I do 3.25 gallon batches, so @ 3 g/hL this is 0.371 grams in mash)
Boil - 2-5 g/hL    (@ 3.25 gallons and 4 g/hL this is 0.491 grams in boil)

Both doses are added as a 5-10% solution

Both doses are based on final volume of beer.

The final addition is added at most 5 minutes before end of boil or at whirlpool.

Whereas Joe gives his in tsp (which still might be in dose range recs), doesn't use a solution, adds @ 16 minutes, and bases dose his on initial water amount.

Confusing.

I also weighed it out several times on a scale.  I had an average weight of about 1.23 grams for 1/2 tsp.  Ranges were from 1.13 to 1.28.  Which is 25% more than the 1.0 grams per 1/2 tsp mentioned above.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:30:53 am by ParanoidAndroid10 »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 09:55:02 am »
I would interpret those instructions to mean adding at that rate to both strike and sparge water, but I could be wrong....

Yep, you're correct.

www.dennybrew.com

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 09:56:29 am »
Why are Joe's recommendations totally different from the fact sheet on Brewtan from the Manufacturer?

Mash - 2-4 g/hL  (I do 3.25 gallon batches, so @ 3 g/hL this is 0.371 grams in mash)

The final addition is added at most 5 minutes before end of boil or at whirlpool.

Whereas Joe gives his in tsp (which still might be in dose range recs), doesn't use a solution, adds @ 16 minutes, and bases dose his on initial water amount.

Confusing.

I also weighed it out several times on a scale.  I had an average weight of about 1.23 grams for 1/2 tsp.  Ranges were from 1.13 to 1.28.  Which is 25% more than the 1.0 grams per 1/2 tsp mentioned above.

Joe is a food scientist who reps the product for the company.  He is also a multi award winning homebrewer who uses it.  You are free to use whatever dosage you like, but I'll stick with what he says.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 09:58:48 am »
Joe's dosages seem to line up within the ranges of both commercial offerings I've seen.  Maybe it's one of those things where too much is too hard to hit.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 10:06:59 am »
Joe's dosages seem to line up within the ranges of both commercial offerings I've seen.  Maybe it's one of those things where too much is too hard to hit.

or more simply does not make a difference

Offline ParanoidAndroid10

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:21 am »

Confusing.

Joe is a food scientist who reps the product for the company.  He is also a multi award winning homebrewer who uses it.  You are free to use whatever dosage you like, but I'll stick with what he says.

I understand all of that, but when I buy anything new, I usually look at the instructions that came with it, or find some literature online; I don't seek out a rep from the company to explain it to me.  If I did however, I would imagine that reps advice and the company's instructions would line up.

I appreciate Joe taking the time to talk about it, and you for getting him on the show; but I would like more clarity on those items.  I'm assuming its an issue of homebrew scale vs commercial scale.