Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Decline of Homebrewing  (Read 17636 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: The Decline of Homebrewing
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2016, 08:51:44 am »
I get daily sale emails from practically every ecommerce business I have patronized, it's not just homebrewing.
The frequency ramped up. The sales are deeper discounts.
But again, this practice is employed by practically every ecommerce company. GAP, Shutterfly, Chewy, Target.com, Best Buy, Safeway. Those were in my box this morning and yesterday, and day before. I think it is more indicative of the size and buying power of these large Online HBSs.
Also, indicative of the level of competition between the big online HBSs.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2016, 09:00:51 am »
I get daily sale emails from practically every ecommerce business I have patronized, it's not just homebrewing.
The frequency ramped up. The sales are deeper discounts.
But again, this practice is employed by practically every ecommerce company. GAP, Shutterfly, Chewy, Target.com, Best Buy, Safeway. Those were in my box this morning and yesterday, and day before. I think it is more indicative of the size and buying power of these large Online HBSs.
Also, indicative of the level of competition between the big online HBSs.

I just hope they don't have any awesome sales on kegs because, quite frankly, I have too many already and I'll be tempted to buy more if the price is right.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2016, 09:11:07 am »
Shut it joe! I need more. Williams has sales from time to time on the Keg King kegs, which appear to be the same as the AiH kegs. The deal isn't deep, but they have flat rate shipping.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2016, 12:27:20 pm »
The last four I bought are still un-boxed.  They're used and need to be cleaned.  Which will take some time and effort and I haven't needed them yet.  Just taking up space...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2016, 06:00:11 am »
I live in Canada and I think it is just the opposite. Our economy isn't that great at the moment and everything is expensive, especially beer. Good craft beer goes for around $14.00 a six pack, mega s*** for around $11. I brew to save money and the savings are incredible compared to store bought. There is so much beginner equipment out there to get you started, so what's stopping you? Even if you happen to have a job and are busy working, you can make great beer on a simple system which I bought in 1980 and still use in my kitchen occasionally.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2016, 03:01:55 pm »
Well, here is another spin on the decline of homebrewing...seriously bad homebrew.

Yesterday I helped judge the Fresh Hop Ale Fest here in Yakima.  This is my 3rd or 4th year doing this.  About half of the beers had serious flaws.  Two were utterly undrinkable.  Diacetyl, DMS, Phenolic, or Solventy messes.  There is nothing enjoyable about drinking band-aids or peppery to the point of being unable to taste anything else for 15+ minutes.

On one hand it is a great way to learn.  Send your bad beer in to get fix info.  On the other hand I'll bet a lot of people brew one or two beers like that and give up.

Help is good.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2016, 07:54:33 pm »
I live in Canada and I think it is just the opposite. Our economy isn't that great at the moment and everything is expensive, especially beer. Good craft beer goes for around $14.00 a six pack, mega s*** for around $11. I brew to save money and the savings are incredible compared to store bought. There is so much beginner equipment out there to get you started, so what's stopping you? Even if you happen to have a job and are busy working, you can make great beer on a simple system which I bought in 1980 and still use in my kitchen occasionally.
Yesterday I talked with a lady from Ontario Canada, during a break at a Mead competition here in MI. She stated that Homebrewing in Canada is really taking off, for the reasons you stated. I talked of what has been observed in the US, and reasons why. We agreed that in Canada the scene is about 10 years behind the US.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2016, 09:17:30 pm »
Well, here is another spin on the decline of homebrewing...seriously bad homebrew.

Yesterday I helped judge the Fresh Hop Ale Fest here in Yakima.  This is my 3rd or 4th year doing this.  About half of the beers had serious flaws.  Two were utterly undrinkable.  Diacetyl, DMS, Phenolic, or Solventy messes.  There is nothing enjoyable about drinking band-aids or peppery to the point of being unable to taste anything else for 15+ minutes.

On one hand it is a great way to learn.  Send your bad beer in to get fix info.  On the other hand I'll bet a lot of people brew one or two beers like that and give up.

Help is good.

Now you know why I stopped judging that competition.
Oh, and you forgot the broccoli and bales of hay they dropped in.
Its a very different set of beers than we get in the "normal" comps around here.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline csaunders

• 1st Kit
    • Famous Last Worts
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2016, 05:29:42 am »

“I’m a pro brewer who literally cannot stand homebrewing since I’ve gone pro,” emails Jen Nad from Montreal. “Just doesn’t interest me, not much free time anymore, or rather it’s so time consuming and messy that I’m not willing to sacrifice my free time to do something I can do at work that’s a million times more fun and better tasting.”

Then I guess its time to start brewing some better beer at home... ;)

It should be noted that Jen works at one of the best breweries in Quebec. If I could leave work every day with low fills of Aphrodisiaque and Rosee d'Hibiscus (to name a few) you bet your ass I wouldn't bother brewing at home anymore.

Also throw in a pilot system where you can play with ingredients and sell the stuff that works.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2016, 09:57:59 am »

Help is good.

Unfortunately, that's nothing new.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2016, 09:59:59 am »

It should be noted that Jen works at one of the best breweries in Quebec. If I could leave work every day with low fills of Aphrodisiaque and Rosee d'Hibiscus (to name a few) you bet your ass I wouldn't bother brewing at home anymore.

Also throw in a pilot system where you can play with ingredients and sell the stuff that works.

If we brewed only for the beer, that would be correct.  But most of us brew for the love of brewing.  And that's why I'd never want to do it for a living.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2016, 01:36:19 pm »
If we brewed only for the beer, that would be correct.  But most of us brew for the love of brewing.  And that's why I'd never want to do it for a living.

This!  I love my job, and I love my homebrewing hobby.  I wouldn't want to stop doing my current job and risk ruining my hobby by turning it into work!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2016, 01:40:33 pm »

This!  I love my job, and I love my homebrewing hobby.  I wouldn't want to stop doing my current job and risk ruining my hobby by turning it into work!

+2.  I love to cook, too - at home. But I cooked at a few restaurants in my younger, college years and that took the fun out of it (as a job) in a hurry.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2016, 02:32:56 pm »

Help is good.

Now you know why I stopped judging that competition.
Oh, and you forgot the broccoli and bales of hay they dropped in.
Its a very different set of beers than we get in the "normal" comps around here.

Sorry about a temporary hiatus from the thread topic:

Yes.  I think that the timing of the festival militates against good beer in two ways.  Because it occurs in the middle of harvest, not all varieties are available so brewers are limited to few, resulting in sameness.  Then, again the time crunch factor tempts homebrewers (and a few commercial brewers) to shortcut & speedup the process which is seldom coincidental with good beer.

I know the primary reason is weather related given that it is an outdoor event, so I'm certain it will not be moved.  It makes me wish for a Hop Fest & Competition at another time.  Good beer should be the goal.

*end of hiatus*
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »

+2.  I love to cook, too - at home. But I cooked at a few restaurants in my younger, college years and that took the fun out of it (as a job) in a hurry.
Since I stopped cooking professionally I love to cook at home so much more and do it so much more.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.