Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Decline of Homebrewing  (Read 17738 times)

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
Re: The Decline of Homebrewing
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 06:31:59 pm »
I will home brew until they pry the mash paddle from my cold dead hands....
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 07:27:37 pm »
Joe Sr.  You are like the Omega Man to me...Always right and a light in the darkness....
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 07:31:26 pm »
I just hope enough people quit homebrewing for me to pick up a lightly used zymatic for $500.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 07:33:47 pm »
Wait a few years.  I'm part of that tail end of baby-boomers, born in 1958-1960. When I retire in a few more years, I'll have a lot more time for brewing and, if I'm lucky, still have a enough years and money to do it. I know I can't be the only one. As an anecdotal side note, our club has seen a real uptick in the number of younger (under 35) members just this year. Less grey hair at meetings than there used to be, which we like!
I can brew as much as I like, I have the time, money is not a problem. We do seem to be more socially active, so more nights out of the house. Lots of travel keeps me away from the taps of Homebrew. Factor in a little less drinking capacity as I age... you get the picture.

Still like to have beers for competitions.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2016, 08:00:39 pm »
I just hope enough people quit homebrewing for me to pick up a lightly used zymatic for $500.
Me, too!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2016, 08:50:32 pm »

^^^ I think that's my new mantra. AHA oughta sell t-shirts and bumper stickers. 
Jon H.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2016, 10:26:21 pm »
The article has input from Gary Glass, so they did some research. As Denny said, this has been a topic, covered at length in the GC meeting.

The AHA growth has slowed, but was still slightly positive or flat last I heard.

The revenue at retailers is down. Less high margin extracts are sold as BIAB becomes more popular. Less fancy equipment sold for the same reason. Less beer is brewed due to demands on time (work, family, and so on). Every town having a brewery (it seems that way) cuts into the need to brew fresh beer.

There are many new devices coming out, the pico brew and grain father systems, that automate brewing. Those may bring more people into the hobby, as the automation has an allure for some.

Things change. Double digit growth doen't last forever. I think the hobby will be fine in the long run.
Well said Jeff, very well said (the whole thing)!
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 05:12:10 am »

My old forum handle back in the day when the B3 forum was cool.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 06:34:39 am »

My old forum handle back in the day when the B3 forum was cool.

This pic is immediately what I thought of after the "cold dead hands" comment!  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 07:37:44 am »
I think about how many times over the years I've complained or heard someone else complain about high prices, old ingredients, lack of service, lack of selection, dirty stores, terrible advice. And from the same stores for years. In what other business would running such a terrible business be sustainable?!

...if less stores means better stores, bring on the correction.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2016, 07:39:41 am »
Those was something that was a surprise, seeing real numbers. It is hard to find a Sierra Nevada tap around here, all of the new breweries of questionable quality have taken those handles. I wondered how they were doing.

Is Homebrewing the canary in the coal mine? Reading this one wonders if the predicted shake out will happen in the next few years. Will nationals with excess capacity drop prices to maintain volume? Interesting times!

http://www.brewbound.com/news/2016/fight-flagship-fatigue-sierra-nevada-will-introduce-pale-ale-torpedo-line-extensions-2017
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2016, 07:52:48 am »
Is Homebrewing the canary in the coal mine? Reading this one wonders if the predicted shake out will happen in the next few years.

I was thinking the same thing. The excess of mediocre (or worse) stuff can only take up store or tap space for so long.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2016, 07:55:44 am »
Is Homebrewing the canary in the coal mine? Reading this one wonders if the predicted shake out will happen in the next few years.

I was thinking the same thing. The excess of mediocre (or worse) stuff can only take up store or tap space for so long.
But people get all fanboy for locals. A newish brewery near me is complete garbage. GARBAGE. Zero redeeming qualities. 4+ stars on yelp.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2016, 08:09:53 am »

But people get all fanboy for locals. A newish brewery near me is complete garbage. GARBAGE. Zero redeeming qualities. 4+ stars on yelp.

Oh I know. It's the same here - about 80% utter crap to good beer. I'm assuming (or hoping) that the young twenty somethings will eventually try enough actual good beers to be able to tell the difference. Or not. Evidently crap beer served in a cool outdoor biergarten or patio is enough around here.
Jon H.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2016, 08:12:25 am »
This is true for sure.  I try out all the new places around here and only 1 of them have I returned to many times because their stuff was genuinely good.  Most are just OK and some are terrible, but somehow they stay in business...

Likewise, I don't drink many home brews aside from my own, but when I was at a buddy's place he had something from one of his coworkers which the guy claimed was really good.  It was all solvent and band-aids.  If that is the product profile that is being accepted by home brewers and the small brewers then it is no surprise that there will be a "correction".
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.