Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Decline of Homebrewing  (Read 18060 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
The Decline of Homebrewing
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2016, 08:17:40 am »
I've had the "chlorophenols do not = house character" argument too many times.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: The Decline of Homebrewing
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2016, 08:19:50 am »
I took it as a compliment when they had a bomber of that other guy's stuff and a bomber of my Kolsch side by side, took a sip of each and then poured his bomber down the drain.  Small victories.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2016, 08:25:27 am »
I was thinking the same thing. The excess of mediocre (or worse) stuff can only take up store or tap space for so long.

Personally, I can't wait for this to happen. There's a considerable amount of dreck being put out locally right now. The hard part is that some of these breweries will make one fantastic flagship beer and the other 3-4 are awful.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2016, 08:38:46 am »
Exhibit A - I went to a local place a while back and sampled a flight of their stuff. Mostly light and insipid, nothing very flavorful or worth buying a pint of. Fermentation flaws in some of the beers.  The brewer (maybe 25-26ish) said that he'd started as a homebrewer and that his parents had bought the place for him. So he was literally learning to homebrew in his own pub. Since then the beer has improved but not a lot IMO, though I've talked to young beer drinkers that think his beer 'rocks'. Kind of mind blowing.
Jon H.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2016, 09:14:36 am »
I will home brew until they pry the mash paddle from my cold dead hands....

Love it:) this may literally be the case for me.  i still find time and love all aspects of Homebrewing even though i have had a lime sized cancerous brain tumor removed Oct of last year. Homebrewing is living in my book and have brewed my share since that date:)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2016, 09:15:51 am »
Exhibit A - I went to a local place a while back and sampled a flight of their stuff. Mostly light and insipid, nothing very flavorful or worth buying a pint of. Fermentation flaws in some of the beers.  The brewer (maybe 25-26ish) said that he'd started as a homebrewer and that his parents had bought the place for him. So he was literally learning to homebrew in his own pub. Since then the beer has improved but not a lot IMO, though I've talked to young beer drinkers that think his beer 'rocks'. Kind of mind blowing.
A lot of mediocre at best breweries opening up around here to.
Dan Chisholm

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2016, 09:25:24 am »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2016, 09:26:03 am »
I will home brew until they pry the mash paddle from my cold dead hands....

Love it:) this may literally be the case for me.  i still find time and love all aspects of Homebrewing even though i have had a lime sized cancerous brain tumor removed Oct of last year. Homebrewing is living in my book and have brewed my share since that date:)

Good for you. I hope all is well.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2016, 09:27:12 am »

Bwahahahahahahaha.    ;D   Awesome, Keith.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2016, 09:34:34 am »
Wait a few years.  I'm part of that tail end of baby-boomers, born in 1958-1960. When I retire in a few more years, I'll have a lot more time for brewing and, if I'm lucky, still have a enough years and money to do it. I know I can't be the only one. As an anecdotal side note, our club has seen a real uptick in the number of younger (under 35) members just this year. Less grey hair at meetings than there used to be, which we like!
I can brew as much as I like, I have the time, money is not a problem. We do seem to be more socially active, so more nights out of the house. Lots of travel keeps me away from the taps of Homebrew. Factor in a little less drinking capacity as I age... you get the picture.

Still like to have beers for competitions.

I've found that I'm so busy since I retired that I actually have less time to brew than when I was working.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2016, 09:47:37 am »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2016, 09:56:37 am »
I've found that I'm so busy since I retired that I actually have less time to brew than when I was working.

Well, that's what drive, creativity and ambition, plus a partner with at least the ambition part will get you
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2016, 10:16:11 am »

Love it! Did you do that one?

Nah there was a beerfest in Nashville someone was selling them.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2016, 10:33:49 am »
There's no surprise to any of this. When the economy tanks, DIY goes up. When the economy improves, DIY goes down. Homebrewing also got caught up in the waves of everything local plus craft beer. Lots of people were going to abandon homebrewing when they could start affording/justifying $10 six packs of beer. Plenty of people got the starter kits as Christmas gifts and brewed a couple of times only to decide they didn't like cleaning, waiting for the beer, etc. You can only sell those starter kits so many times.

There is a correction but it's a good thing. What's being lost in breadth of new brewers is being made up for in depth of knowledge, experience and technical expertise.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2016, 11:38:53 am »
I love IPA, but I have to homebrew because I can't get the good beers I like to drink.  They only seem to sell swill and IPA in the stores anymore.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge