Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 pressure gauge  (Read 2909 times)

Offline alemental

• Cellarman
CO2 pressure gauge
« on: June 18, 2010, 06:43:14 pm »
Does anyone know if CO2 gauges can be tested for accuracy? How can I do this? I am sure that mine are a bit cheezy & I just don't trust them.

Offline beersavorer

• 1st Kit
Re: CO2 pressure gauge
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:14:26 pm »
Yes, there is a way to calibrate them--but it's not simple.  When working in the lab, I would send my CO2 guage used for checking bottle-CO2 to Zahm & Nagel for calibration. 

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:40:17 am »
The only gauge you would need calibrated is the LP one, and not even that since you need to adjust pressure for tapflow.  The HP just gives you an idea that the tank is near empty when the pressure falls off rapidly, it does not tell you how full it is.  for that you would need a weight scale.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline alemental

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:41:36 am »
The only gauge you would need calibrated is the LP one, and not even that since you need to adjust pressure for tapflow.  The HP just gives you an idea that the tank is near empty when the pressure falls off rapidly, it does not tell you how full it is.  for that you would need a weight scale.

Actually, I am thinking of the gauge that adjusts pressure to the individual keg for carbonation level. I am not really too worried about the flow, that seems to work at any pressure that is not overly high. I have multiple secondary regulators fed from the one master regulator that is on the tank. The problem is that I get uneven carbonation levels from different regulators. For instance, I have one set to apply about 9 lbs, yet that keg has become over carbonated, despite the fact that this level should give only 1.9 volumes.  From others, the same setting will not carbonate to the expected level. I would like to figure out what the real pressure being delivered is so that I can adjust it for the appropriate level for the style of beer. With that knowledge I could just set the regulator to the proper pressure and expect the (forced) carbonation to settle at the right level.