Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finishing gravity on Belgian beers  (Read 1577 times)

Offline brownie15

• 1st Kit
  • Enjoy every sandwich - with a nice homebrew.
Finishing gravity on Belgian beers
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:09:14 am »
Hi all, this is my first time posting on the site.  I recently brewed both a Belgian Dubbel and a Golden Strong Ale.  I mashed both beers for 90 minutes at approx 148F.  I used the Mangrove Jack M41 Belgian Ale Yeast for ferment, which is a high attenuator (82-88% I believe).  Beginning gravity on both beers was about 1.064, and I anticipated finishing gravity of around 1.010 or so.  I took a reading last night (after about ten days in the primary) and both beers have finished at 1.002.  Now I understand the Belgians like a dry finish, but come on!  Same thing happened to me the last time I did these beers, and I used a different yeast that time.  I'm following the standard advice on using the low mash temperature, but am I better off trying to mash at a higher temp?  I'd love to know what mash temps other brewers are using for their Belgians and what kind of results they're getting.  Sorry to go on so long.  Thanks!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Finishing gravity on Belgian beers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 10:31:36 am »
Isn't that a dry equivalent of 3711? That is a real beast, and chews through the wort, doesn't leave a thin taste though.

So how does the beer taste? Do you like the beer?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:39:27 pm »
Isn't that a dry equivalent of 3711? That is a real beast, and chews through the wort, doesn't leave a thin taste though.

So how does the beer taste? Do you like the beer?

I don't know if it is an equivalent to 3711, but if it is, mashing at 149F will easily get you down that low consistently. If it isn't, then you might want to double check your mash thermometer and make sure it is properly calibrated.

Offline brownie15

• 1st Kit
  • Enjoy every sandwich - with a nice homebrew.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:41:34 pm »
I didn't sample either beer last night, but I will be bottling on Friday.  I still get a nice aroma from both beers.  I'll have to update with tasting impressions and let you know how it turned out.