Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Back Sweetening mead?  (Read 2620 times)

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
Back Sweetening mead?
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:08:45 am »
I have a mead that has finished out pretty dry.  I would like to back sweeten it before bottling but have never done this.  What do I need to add to stop refermentation of any honey I add?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Back Sweetening mead?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:18:37 am »
Potassium metasulfite (Camden tablets) stop fermentation and potassium sorbate prevents it from restarting. There are plenty places on the internet with procedures. Make sure you tell anyone who drinks it it contains sulfites as some people have reactions.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:59:51 am »
Go slow with the honey!  You can always add more, & can't undo it.  I usually start with a cup, add 'till I like it.  Then calculate that up to the full batch.  When I measure it out. I'll add half of what I have measured, taste, if it needs more I'll add half of what's left, if it needs more, half of what's left...    Until I'm happy with the result.  (I have gotten to the point of no change & had to reach back into the honey pot, but you'll get a feel for it by that point)

I do use Campden and Sorbate as directed.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:03:20 pm »
Potassium metasulfite (Camden tablets) stop fermentation and potassium sorbate prevents it from restarting. There are plenty places on the internet with procedures. Make sure you tell anyone who drinks it it contains sulfites as some people have reactions.

If fermentation is done can I just skip the camden tabs and just use the potassium sorbate?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 03:49:36 am »
Depending on how strong the mead is, you may not need to stabilize before back sweetening. I generally make sweet, strong meads in the 1.130+ range. I'm pretty confident that when the yeast is done in these meads it isn't going to restart fermentation if I need to backsweeten. I still let it sit in secondary for at least a few weeks (usually a couple of months). That is mainly just to let the flavors meld, but it's also a bit of insurance just in case the yeast does eat a couple of more gravity points.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer