Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Going to be in the Boston area  (Read 1876 times)

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
Going to be in the Boston area
« on: October 04, 2016, 10:01:32 am »
Would there be anyone that would be willing to give up their favorite brewpubs or breweries for good eating and drinking in the Boston area?  Got a few days to browse the big city while on a business excursion.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Going to be in the Boston area
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:05:55 am »
Trillium for bottles in Fort Point area (no tasters but they usually have Trillium beer at Row34 right next door).  Not too far away is Harpoon brewery, which has a very nice Bier hall. Night Shift in Everett (cab or Uber to there).

Sunset Grille in Allston.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:20:54 am »
+1 to Sunset Grille.
Also its a good time of year for oysters and you will find them all over the city. Union Oyster House is famous and good, just try to go at off peak times. My M.O. in the city is to go to pricier restaurants for a late lunch. Same thing for less money and better service/quieter. Hit bars/clubs with live music at night.
If you like Jazz go to Wally's on Mass Ave, especially on Tuesday nights.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 11:25:29 am »
Also, I don't know what your timeline is but if there is a Sox home playoff game happening (starting next week and all through World Series  8))check out the area around the ballpark for the atmosphere. Get to one of the spots around Fenway such as Boston Beerworks or
Cask & Flagon way early to get a spot near the taps (to be able to get bartenders attention) and soak in Red Sox Nation.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:27:30 am by pete b »

Offline slabtownebc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 11:39:00 am »
I am a big fan of Bukowskis Tavern, they have two locations: Boston near the Pru and Cambridge.  They serve up great pub food along with an above average beer menu.  The Public House in Brookline is fantastic but a bit of a train ride.  You should check out Sullivan's Tap just for fun.
On Tap: Marzen, Wee Heavey
Corked and Caged: Dark Saison with brett, oak, red wine and  currants (AHA recipe)           
Conditioning:  Empty
Secondary:     Fest Beer
On Deck:       Chimay Grand Reserve

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 02:07:27 pm »
Also, I don't know what your timeline is but if there is a Sox home playoff game happening (starting next week and all through World Series  8))check out the area around the ballpark for the atmosphere. Get to one of the spots around Fenway such as Boston Beerworks or
Cask & Flagon way early to get a spot near the taps (to be able to get bartenders attention) and soak in Red Sox Nation.
Pete, really hope you're wrong here, as I would love to see my Tribe continue on to the World Series. ;D
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 02:28:04 pm »
Pete, really hope you're wrong here, as I would love to see my Tribe continue on to the World Series. ;D
If the Sox were not in the playoffs, I too would want Cleveland to go on to lose to the Cubs in the World Series.   ;D

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 02:29:46 pm »
Lol

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »
I gotta believe the Tribe can't lose 3 WS appearances in a row(their last 3 that is) so they must be due if they can get there

Frank L.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 02:34:48 pm »
I gotta believe the Tribe can't lose 3 WS appearances in a row(their last 3 that is) so they must be due if they can get there

We believe what we need to believe...

Offline 69franx

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 02:40:36 pm »
Exactly

Frank L.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 03:51:18 pm »
I am a big fan of Bukowskis Tavern, they have two locations: Boston near the Pru and Cambridge.  They serve up great pub food along with an above average beer menu.  The Public House in Brookline is fantastic but a bit of a train ride.  You should check out Sullivan's Tap just for fun.
Big +1 to Bukowski's. Great burgers and beer selection.

I think BeerWorks had a mention already, and I'll second them as well. Great brewpub fare. John Harvard's was decent last I went, but it's been years.

If you're around on a weekend, then Salem is just a short train ride away. Salem in October is well worth the trip for the Halloween experience. They have a Beer Works there as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 05:31:11 pm »
Doyle's in Jamaica Plain. One of the oldest pubs in the city, lots of history and a great tap list. It's right down the street from Samuel Adams Boston Brewery. During certain times (business hours) you can have a couple at Doyle's, and then take a shuttle from there to Sam Adams.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'