Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Decline of Homebrewing  (Read 17723 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: The Decline of Homebrewing
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2016, 03:44:40 pm »
+2.  I love to cook, too - at home. But I cooked at a few restaurants in my younger, college years and that took the fun out of it (as a job) in a hurry.
Since I stopped cooking professionally I love to cook at home so much more and do it so much more.

Totally.
Jon H.

Offline csaunders

• 1st Kit
    • Famous Last Worts
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2016, 05:36:32 pm »

It should be noted that Jen works at one of the best breweries in Quebec. If I could leave work every day with low fills of Aphrodisiaque and Rosee d'Hibiscus (to name a few) you bet your ass I wouldn't bother brewing at home anymore.

Also throw in a pilot system where you can play with ingredients and sell the stuff that works.

If we brewed only for the beer, that would be correct.  But most of us brew for the love of brewing.  And that's why I'd never want to do it for a living.

Honestly asking someone in the industry about homebrewing is just silly.

I'm training to do brewing professionally and I wouldn't be surprised if I stop homebrewing as much if I work on a brewhouse as my job.

Hence why I'm interested in cellaring and filtration. Something I'll never do at home! (Or worst case I'll pick cross-stitching )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2016, 07:56:29 am »
if I brewed for the beer I could take the next decade off drinking the stuff - especially mead - that I've got. 

but at least it's not the 25 year supply I used to have.   8)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2016, 09:00:57 am »
I'm a poor, hardscrabble, subsistence brewer. I can barely brew fast enough to keep beer in the fridge, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it immensely.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2016, 09:32:26 am »
if I brewed for the beer I could take the next decade off drinking the stuff - especially mead - that I've got. 

There's a reason I only brew 1.7 gallons at a time these days..... I still have about 6-7 cases of beer and cider aging in the cellar, and I just can't drink it all fast enough to keep up with my overpowering desire to brew and experiment.  I sometimes ponder if I should decrease this to just 1.3 gallons, and in fact I did this on my last batch but ended up sad that I don't have a few more bottles left than I do, so I'm staying with 1.7 gallons.

Yes... I brew for the process, and for the science of it, as well as the creativity of it, way more than I do for the need for beer or for cost savings or anything like that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2016, 09:34:17 am »

Yes, if we stopped now I still think we would have enough mead to last well into our dotage. I'm starting to turn some into brandy.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2016, 12:31:09 pm »

I sometimes ponder if I should decrease this to just 1.3 gallons, and in fact I did this on my last batch but ended up sad that I don't have a few more bottles left than I do, so I'm staying with 1.7 gallons.

Whoa!  Slow down crazy man!  :)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2016, 12:44:12 pm »
I have 20 gallons I the basement waiting on open kegs, so I will be bottling from keg tonight to clear some space...giving it away at the fastest rate so far and hosting less, unfortunately.  It was easier when I had recurrent groups of up to ten guys stopping by - there was always a keg blasted through on a weekend. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2016, 01:01:11 pm »

but at least it's not the 25 year supply I used to have. 
Yes, if we stopped now I still think we would have enough mead to last well into our dotage. I'm starting to turn some into brandy.

sometimes supply be damned:  the family comes through with a couple gallons of the little wild pacific mountain blackberries, and they MUST be turned into mead (and a pie).  After concentrating on cider for 3 years I've made 17 batches of mead since April.  It'll keep.   8)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2016, 01:17:39 pm »

but at least it's not the 25 year supply I used to have. 

sometimes supply be damned:  the family comes through with a couple gallons of the little wild pacific mountain blackberries, and they MUST be turned into mead (and a pie).  After concentrating on cider for 3 years I've made 17 batches of mead since April.  It'll keep.   8)
Same deal here. There's no better way to preserve all the fruit we harvest/forage. And I just extracted some honey...
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline scott312

• 1st Kit
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2016, 09:33:13 pm »

Then I guess its time to start brewing some better beer at home... ;)

You read my mind.  I'm thinking he works with a pro.
Jesus Saves!