Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermenting IPA with spunding valve  (Read 13270 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: fermenting IPA with spunding valve
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 12:33:06 pm »
Thanks, Eric. I assume you use the spunding valve I the fermenter as well? I'm a bit worried using it with ales. Could be that I need to put it on the fermenter in less than 48 hours, right?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 08:47:28 pm »
Thanks, Eric. I assume you use the spunding valve I the fermenter as well? I'm a bit worried using it with ales. Could be that I need to put it on the fermenter in less than 48 hours, right?
You definitely want to bleed off the CO2 in the early part of fermentation, I think. I leave it as loose as it goes for the first few days of fermentation of a normal gravity beer (longer for big beers), then cinch it down at the tail end of fermentation. I've never really shot for full carbonation simply from fermentation, although I'm sure it can be done easily. I'm mainly using it as a pressure-release valve.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 07:17:45 am »
Should work fine,  but you want more like 30psi at room temp.

Two inches off the tube is a lot. Start with about an inch and see how that works for you. You should use a tubing cutter for this, not a saw. Tubing cutter will leave a cleaner cut.

Also, your links are identical.
Don't cut your dip tube! Just bend it. I cut a couple and regret it. And, Steve, I used a saw and for a the longest time, I had weird/off tasting beers and I couldn't figure out what the issue was. Finally realized it was probably the tube where I cut it with the saw; ie, not clean cuts and bacteria hidden in there. Now, I just bend the dip tube so it sits an inch or two off the bottom of the keg.
Jesse

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 07:35:38 am »
OK, now we have one cut off, one bend, and one blow the gunk out. Other suggestions? :)
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 01:53:06 pm »
One more question: does anyone use an in to in connection as well when transferring the beer? What's the procedure/advantage?
Frank P.

Offline FlipMasterFlash

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 07:40:48 am »
I cut a few of my dip tubes but used a tubing cutter and then a file to remove any burr on the dip tube.  I've had no issues but I'd expect bending the dip tube would work equally well.

Unsure what you mean by 'in to in connection'... To transfer between kegs I just have a short jumper which connects 'out' to 'out' (ie - the dip tubes on both kegs).

I've fermented a few dozen batches in kegs and do a closed transfer and haven't run into any issues or problems.  Like others mentioned I just use a picnic tap to get rid of the crud before I transfer, was surprised how quickly I get to clear beer when I do a good cold crash.

I've tried a few different methods for dry hopping when brewing in kegs but haven't settled on my favorite method.  Right now my preference is to put the hops in the serving keg using something like this: http://stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper-with-twist-cap-_p_155.html

Thing I haven't tried is the spunding valve but am quite curious and will likely end up getting a one before long.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »
OK, now I have to ask a probably stupid question.  Why do you want to ferment in a keg with a spunding valve?  Why not just carb with CO2 from a tank?  I'm not being snarcy, I really do want to understand this.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 12:01:05 am »
So as to have a closed system where wort/beer is never exposed to oxygen on the cold side. Plus natural carbonation, which is supposed to give a finer texture. Not sure whether that is true, but I'll find out.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 12:03:03 am »
Unsure what you mean by 'in to in connection'... To transfer between kegs I just have a short jumper which connects 'out' to 'out' (ie - the dip tubes on both kegs).

Same thing, jumper that connects 'in' to 'in', to regulate CO2 pressure. Never mind, read something about it somewhere but now don't remember where. I'll just use the gas tank.
Frank P.

Offline FlipMasterFlash

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 07:18:19 am »
Why do you want to ferment in a keg with a spunding valve?
Perhaps someone can comment in more detail but the belief is that fermenting under pressure reduces ester output from the yeast thus you can choose to ferment warmer (and faster) without risking the esters usually associated with doing so.

While I'm interested in that part of it I'm also interested in reduced throughput time via having carbed beer when fermentation is done.  Know I can carb quicker by using higher pressure or shaking the keg but that is screwing around I'd be happy to avoid.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 09:16:00 am »
So as to have a closed system where wort/beer is never exposed to oxygen on the cold side. Plus natural carbonation, which is supposed to give a finer texture. Not sure whether that is true, but I'll find out.

If you remember your bottling days, I think there is something to this. I've noticed that most of my beers have a "finer" carbonation quality than beer I've had that I know is force carbed. I don't necessarily think it's any better or worse, but it can be different. And it's not every beer, but many of them.

The Beerery

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 02:31:42 pm »

If you remember your bottling days, I think there is something to this. I've noticed that most of my beers have a "finer" carbonation quality than beer I've had that I know is force carbed. I don't necessarily think it's any better or worse, but it can be different. And it's not every beer, but many of them.

Its due to the nature of co2 coming OUT(yeast excretion) of the solution instead of trying to get INTO (force carbonation)solution, and it certainly makes a difference.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 03:10:06 pm »

Its due to the nature of co2 coming OUT(yeast excretion) of the solution instead of trying to get INTO (force carbonation)solution, and it certainly makes a difference.

Not sure I follow you on the in vs. out.  The CO2 has to go into the solution in order to form bubbles when it comes out.  The yeast don't magically cause carbonation.  Whether you're creating pressure by using a spunding valve or by using a CO2 tank and regulator, it's the pressure that causes the gas to go into solution.

Perhaps the gradual build up of pressure from natural carbonation, or the likelihood that the gas has been in solution longer, cause the a finer carbonation.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

narvin

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 03:43:49 pm »
If you believe you're getting oxidation when transferring to the keg, some ascorbic acid should work wonders for that (and may make your IPA taste even more "juicy").

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 04:01:17 pm »
If you believe you're getting oxidation when transferring to the keg, some ascorbic acid should work wonders for that (and may make your IPA taste even more "juicy").

Been doing that for several months now. I feel like there's a benefit there.
Jon H.