Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long is your brew day?  (Read 11894 times)

Offline piersonm

• 1st Kit
  • Dont judge a beer by its color.
How long is your brew day?
« on: September 26, 2016, 05:47:33 am »
When I first started all-grain brewing 4 years ago, I had to set aside 8 hours of my day.  Yesterday, with the help of my friend, we did a batch in just over 3.5 hours.  That included setup, actual brewing, and clean up.  Just curious on what other people do! Cheers
He who buys good ale buys nothing else.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: How long is your brew day?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:07:13 am »
Batch sparge 5 gallon batch, not including recipe formulation and acquiring ingredients is about 5.5 hours. 2.5 gallon Biab in kitchen is 3 hours. I am hampered by not having a dedicated brewery. If I had a dedicated brewery I would brew way more often because right now brewing isn't as fun as it could be given that I have to spend a lot of time lugging things back and forth and clean up is not ideal.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 10:55:22 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:23:37 am »
I batch sparge - a 60 minute mash, 60 minute boil takes me ~ 4.5 hours including clean up (longer for longer mashes or boils obviously). I make use of all my down time time to clean up and store whatever possible during the process, to save time.
Jon H.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:52:25 am »
5 hours from start to end of clean up.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 07:07:18 am »
I do 11 gallon batches. Brew days range from 5 to 6 hours.... Depends on how long my whirlpool is  ;)
Frank

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 08:09:01 am »
So much depends on the groundwater temperature for me. I don't get hot water outside, just hose water, so I have to heat my strike water with my kettle. Usually I do this while I weigh and mill my grain and gather and prepare everything else. But sometimes it takes well over an hour (it takes a long time to get 40ยบ water up to ~170. So that starting point is 30-90 mins for everything up to mash-in, this is followed by 60 mins to mash, then I run off the first runnings into the kettle and start heating the first runnings while I batch sparge. From the end of mash till boiling usually takes 30 mins. I do 90-min boils about half the time now, and the rest of the time I do 60 min boils, so 60-90 mins for boil. If it's not a hoppy style, chilling wort takes 20-90 minutes, depending on the groundwater temperature. If it is a hoppy style, there will be 30-90 mins of hop standing, often in two stages (flame-out to ~180, then chilled down to >150 and another 30 minutes). Filling the fermenters and cleaning the kettle will be another 20-45 minutes.

So this can be an absolute minimum of 2 hours 40 minutes (very rare) to a max of 7 hours for that 96% pilsner malt session IPA in July.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 08:10:28 am »
Depends on my mash schedule... single infusion 8 gal batch sparge 70min boil in a SV setup and water profile adjustments ~5 hours with clean up

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 08:22:23 am »
About 5 hours minimum, all grain 10 gallons, to 12+ hours for a triple decoction with a long boil (not doing that again).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 08:23:58 am »
Usually about 4 hours start to finish.

I start heating the strike water while I bring everything out. Mill the grains. Mash in for 60 minutes and start heating sparge water during the mash. I then vorlauf and start filling the kettle, which is already on the burner. I then boil for 60 minutes. I immediately start cleaning and putting away equipment during the boil. Turn off flame, hook up Plate chiller and chill in one 5-10 min pass. Put carboy in the Fermentation chamber and clean the remaining equipment.

I've done it in 3 hours before, with a 30 min mash and 30 min boil.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 08:29:53 am »
For me its usually around 4-5 hours. I do BIAB. I typically have all my ingredients ready the day before though. While everything is heating up I sanitize everything. while the wort is chilling I clean up cause I use the ice bath to chill it.

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 08:35:31 am »
5 hours for 10 gallons - getting to a boil with 11.5 -12 gallons or so takes some propane energy and some time, even with a big burner; though I have done 2 ten gallon batches in 6.5 hours, by planning it out well.  I also pre-treat water the night before and heat strike water using a bucket heater stick on a timer, so I hit the ground running usually.  I don't rush anymore, but I have my system and process down fairly well.  if I get a visitor, it usually extends the time significantly, because I don't get all the simultaneous processes done.  I like to clean as I go, for sure, as noted by others...that was the real time savings.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 09:00:19 am »
~7 hours for 10-11 gallons although I'm looking to knock off 30-45 minutes with my new mill replacing my Corona mill and maybe another 30-45 minutes by fine tuning the mash, sparge and heat to boil.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 09:02:09 am »
About 6 to 8 hours, depending mostly on how bad my cranial rectalitus is that day. That's including clean up, grain is usually weighed and ground the day before. I brew upstairs and ferment and store everything downstairs cuz that's the most inconvenient set-up I could devise. With 60 plus gravity beers 6 1/2 gallons into the fermenter is about all my setup allows, and at my advanced age & level of decrepitude, I'm really not interested in trying to pack more than 6 or 7 gallons down the stairs by myself.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 09:03:23 am »
My 5.5-6 gallon batches with batch sparge are usually 5-6 hours from flame on to cleaned up afterwards. I do measure out and portion grain, hops, and water treatment chemicals the night before. I usually mill while strike water is heating. I am not usually in a rush, so I am happy with my time frame
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 09:08:52 am »
5-6 hours is typical. Add time for longer or bigger boils and longer mash times