Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long is your brew day?  (Read 11895 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: How long is your brew day?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 09:09:45 am »
Four to five hours for a typical brew day. On the rare occasion that I do a turbid mash I set aside twelve to fourteen hours. From milling to the end of sparging that is at least six hours.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 10:01:12 am »
About 5-6 hours for 5 gallon batch.  Most of my recipes lately have involved a hop stand of 15-30 minutes, plus I have a Grainfather so the heating of the mash water and ramping up to boil takes a while longer.  I have a timer I'm going to put on the GF so my water can start heating up before I get up or get home from work to try and save some time.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 10:03:01 am »
Im usually around 6 hrs start to finish. Sometimes I will be done, but waiting for the wort to settle fully before transfering to the fermenter or waiting for the wort to get down to pitch temps in the fermentation chamber. I have a hard time chilling below 70* in the warmer months of the year so this can take some time befroe yeast is pitched and all is saod is fully done. But ~6 hrs for the most part.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 10:16:48 am »
On average, I can usually get done in 5 hours - set-up to clean-up, assuming a 60 min mash and 60 min boil.
Any whirlpool/hop stands add to this time.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 10:24:45 am »
I am normally at about 4-1/2 hours in the summer and 4 hours in the winter due to groundwater temp.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 10:38:10 am »
I only brew 1.7 or 2 gallons these days, but I can get a batch done in 3.5 hours flat if I want to, or 4 hours max.  That's all-grain, BIAB, *WITH* a sparge step.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 10:45:20 am »
4-4.5 hours for 5 gal. all grain  I just got a Hydra chiller that cut my chilling time from 20-30 min. to 6 min.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 11:16:43 am »
BIAB 5 gal batch no sparge and No chill in about 3.5 hours including set up and clean up.   
Jimmykx250

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 11:25:10 am »
BIAB 5 gal batch no sparge and No chill in about 3.5 hours including set up and clean up.

I'm the same, although most batches I whirlpool hops for half an hour.   I'm not counting for making dog biscuits  :)
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 11:47:17 am »
5-6 hours for most brews.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 11:55:14 am »
I recently did a kit Altbier (door prize for judging).  I forgot how quickly a 5 gallon extract kit is brewed - about 2 hours for a full boil 6.5 gallon starting volume.  Little bitty bag of grain to steep.  Felt like making a starter!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 11:55:46 am »
Honing in on 2 hours AG, 2.5ish with 30m whirlpool.  30m mash/30m boil/getting running in a hot kettle ASAP/chill <100F and rest in fridge overnight.  Right now the time killer is lautering.  Takes about 30m.  I can't seem do full speed 1/2" throughput or I get stuck.  It has been suggested a bag setup will help and that's on the to do list.  I read of people getting it done in 5-10m.  Goal is 15m and that would get me under 2 hours.  No negative impact on beer quality, in fact, the 30m boil might be even a slight improvement. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 12:00:20 pm »
How do you adjust for the hop additions with the short boil?  I am intrigued
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 12:07:50 pm »
10 gallon batch brewer.  Start to finish including clean-up (most of which I do as I go) is 4-5 hours for most beers.  Big beers like my Scotch ale add about an hour due to longer mash and boil.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 12:19:04 pm »
How do you adjust for the hop additions with the short boil?  I am intrigued

Easy peasy.  I just adjust promash for 30m boil.  Actually, not a large difference at all and bittering additions get a slight bump.  From memory we're talking like 10% difference between 30 and 60...  If you research, the benchmark of pro brewers is a boiloff rate of 4%.  I averaged 15% over 60m, so cutting that in half and I am still nearly 2x of the pros.  It works perfect for my session, at 30m most of the other gear is cleaned and put away and I am ready to chill.  Honestly, I do not like the actual brewing.  It's heavy/wet/hot work.  I consider it a workout.  I enjoy the science/research/recipe formulation.  Drinking it is OK tho ;D
Sam
Sandusky, OH