Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: omega hot head yeast  (Read 8712 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
omega hot head yeast
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:25:00 am »
I had a chance to use this yeast for a few batches this summer and I have to say im blown away and surprised its not more popular. The temp range on this stuff is crazy and I pushed it to see if this was true. I fermented in 80 degree temps with no off flavors in fact one batch stalled so I checked gravity and knew it wasn't done so I threw it on the deck in the sun and it started chugging away within a half hour- stuff is amazing- just my 2 cents. This yeast is a game changer for guys like me in the summer. Anybody else using this stuff?
Jimmykx250

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
Re: omega hot head yeast
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:01:17 pm »
I've used it for a blonde and an IPA. Both fermented at ambient, so between 75-80. I thought it was very clean too, especially in the blonde where I might expect off flavors to be more easily identified. I'm probably using it in my next brew as well. I control temps with a swamp cooler so it's nice to not have to switch out frozen bottles all the time.

What other styles have people brewed successfully?

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 12:47:49 pm »
I used it for an IPA that turned out well. Ferment temp was approx 74°F. Then I used some of the yeast cake to ferment a barleywine. Ferment temp was also approx 74°F. Clean, no fusels with a tropical fruit flavor and aroma from the Topaz hops used late in the boil. I really like the hothead ale yeast for warm weather brewing!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 06:32:03 pm »
I thought about trying this yeast sometime. Especially since my LHBS only carries Omega Labs Yeast.

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 01:37:15 pm »
This yeast is a game changer for guys like me in the summer. Anybody else using this stuff?

I have several packs on order and can't wait to try it in place of the WY1056 I would normally use for American IPA's.  I am thinking about using it for my Modern Times Blazing World clone I will brew next week.  My LHBS doesn't carry it, so I got ordered it from Northern Brewer. 
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:06:22 pm »
Is this strain only available from Omega Labs?

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 03:43:14 pm »
Is this one of those Kveck (sp?) yeasts?

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:53 pm »
This is an isolate from Stein Langlo's Stranda Kveik. As far as I know, Omega is the only lab culturing this isolate.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 09:49:45 pm »
This really sounds to me like the lazy man's treasure.  I built a MOFC (Mother of Fermentation Chiller) years ago, and it has worked great for ales and even lagers.  Life is getting busier now with three sons and a hobby farm in the works, so Hot Head sounds really tempting to me.  I'm headed to NB this weekend and may pick up a pack if I can find a freshie.  Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 11:00:22 am »
The Yeast Bay also has the Sigmund's Voss Kviek which is very similar, if not the same

-Josh Peanasky

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 10:31:24 pm »
The Yeast Bay also has the Sigmund's Voss Kviek which is very similar, if not the same

-Josh Peanasky

Omega also have a strain called Voss Kviek: http://www.omegayeast.com/portfolio/voss-kveik/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:52:26 pm by duelerx »

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »
My experience hs been really positive with this yeast. Its relly odd but it prefers to be warmer and no off flavors at all. I turned my neighbor on to it and he loves it too. You need to monitor the gravity a little closer cause it wil stop prematurely if its to chilly like 65 to 68!!! Once last sumer it wasnt done only around 50% attenution so i threw it on the deck in the sun and withing 15 min the bubbler was going. So far i love this stuff but only use it in the summer.
Jimmykx250

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 02:27:56 pm »
This yeast is a game changer for guys like me in the summer. Anybody else using this stuff?

I have several packs on order and can't wait to try it in place of the WY1056 I would normally use for American IPA's.  I am thinking about using it for my Modern Times Blazing World clone I will brew next week.  My LHBS doesn't carry it, so I got ordered it from Northern Brewer.

I did in fact brew the Blazing World clone using the Hot Head yeast.  It started fast and kept going strong for 3 days with this recipe (OG = 1.067).  I have it in a temperature-stable area at 68F - 70F.  This brew was a 3-gallon brew using 1 yeast pack, no starter, 6 hours warm-up time.

I plan on checking the gravity on Friday.  It's going to be a warm sunny weekend, so if it needs a little finishing time, I may do what others have done and let this one heat up a while!
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 09:09:58 pm »
Not to be rude, but putting a carboy full of beer in the sun would be the LAST thing I would do.  I did a skunking experiment once, with cream ale in Corona bottles.  They were noticeably skunked after about 7 minutes, and it got considerably worse with samples exposed in various amounts up to about 45 min.  I wish I could post you the pictures of this trial, but the NB forum has purged a ton of its core content.    :'(

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 03:22:55 am »
Not to be rude, but putting a carboy full of beer in the sun would be the LAST thing I would do.  I did a skunking experiment once, with cream ale in Corona bottles.  They were noticeably skunked after about 7 minutes, and it got considerably worse with samples exposed in various amounts up to about 45 min.  I wish I could post you the pictures of this trial, but the NB forum has purged a ton of its core content.    :'(
[/quote

I ferment in white plastic buckets. I know what your saying though- good point! Not recomended to throw  glas carboy in the sun. Im not a fan of glass anyhow.]
Jimmykx250