Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: omega hot head yeast  (Read 8690 times)

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
Re: omega hot head yeast
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 08:02:33 pm »
I have now used the Hot Head Ale yeast on two batches, both of which fermented heavy and fast.  I got both from NB, and they had production dates of less than one month before I pitched them.

The first was a Blazing World clone, which fermented from OG=1.066 to FG=1.010 in 4 days.  The other was a Pliny the Elder clone, with almost the same fermentation rate.  Both were fermented at 68-72F.

This is now my #1 yeast choice.
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale

Offline jFrode

• 1st Kit
omega hot head yeast
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 09:49:50 am »
My grandfather used to brew with this sort of yeast back in the 50, 60 and 70ties. He was from Voss/Norway. He even malted his own grains. Often they started to consume the beer the same week as they pitched the yeast/kveik. Since it can ferment so fast they could start to make beer for a funeral when a person died, or was dying and be able to serve it after the funeral. He would rose a stick in the fermenting worth at high Krausen  and hang it to dry. When he brewed again, he would swirl the stick in the wort and fermentation would start again. I never actually tasted he's beer because I was to young at the time, now I could have the possibility to try something in the ballpark of what he was making. That's cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 01:29:27 pm »
That stick sounds like what I have heard (not sure of accuracy) about people brewing before they understood the existence of yeast. A family would have a mash paddle that was used in every batch and fermentation started. The paddles were often handed down from generation to generation to enable the family to keep brewing even after the brewer had passed on.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 12:49:09 pm »
I have now brewed 4 batches of beer with the Omega Hot-Head Ale yeast, and they all finished FG<1.012 and all were fantastic IPA's.  Each had a OG of <1.07.  I have also gotten similar results in 3 other batches using the Omega DIPA Ale yeast.

These are the only 2 liquid yeasts I use now since they perform so well.  For dry yeasts, I have not found anything better than Safale US-05 or Safale S-04.
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale