Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Done with hefes  (Read 11988 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Done with hefes
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2016, 05:41:34 pm »
I find WY3333 to be more balanced, with more fruit, little clove and little banana, whereas I find WY3068 to be more one-dimensional with the clove/banana, especially the clove (not a big fan of the clove). Just my personal preference.

I ferment WY3333 in the low to mid 60s.  Give that strain a try.
The beauty of homebrewing is making beer to personal preference. I go for the clove, avoid the banana. Then again I think bananas taste too much like banana.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2016, 05:46:44 pm »
The beauty of homebrewing is making beer to personal preference. I go for the clove, avoid the banana. Then again I think bananas taste too much like banana.

I'm with you, Pete. I don't make many hefes but when I do, I shoot for the low temp/clove profile. The majority of domestic weissbiers are banana bombs IMO. If I could come close to duplicating a hefe, it would be Schneider Weisse. Each his own.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2016, 06:17:45 pm »

If I could come close to duplicating a hefe, it would be Schneider Weisse. Each his own.

Yes, they do, and mine is Weihenstephaner first, then Ayinger Brau Weiss a close second. Both have a very nice balance of clove and banana and that sweet sweet elusive German malt flavor.
Jesse

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 06:24:02 pm »

I'm with you, Pete. I don't make many hefes but when I do, I shoot for the low temp/clove profile. The majority of domestic weissbiers are banana bombs IMO. If I could come close to duplicating a hefe, it would be Schneider Weisse. Each his own.
Fwiw on the weihenstephan strain throws more banana at cold Temps and more bubblegum and phenols warm.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »

Fwiw on the weihenstephan strain throws more banana at cold Temps and more bubblegum and phenols warm.

I like it at 64F for a couple days before raising - I get clove and subtle banana there.
Jon H.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 06:32:15 pm »
Had a local brewery try to convince me that bubblegum was a positive characteristic in their hefe.  ???

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 06:33:12 pm »
62f is supposed to be the magic spot for it (for Balance). When I say cold like 58f. I know a lot of commercial guys run between 56 and 60f.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 06:35:56 pm »
62f is supposed to be the magic spot for it (for Balance). When I say cold like 58f. I know a lot of commercial guys run between 56 and 60f.

That's crazy...I doubt that's what Weihenstephaner does...
Had a local brewery try to convince me that bubblegum was a positive characteristic in their hefe.  ???
Which goes to prove that because you're a professional brewer, doesn't mean you know sh*t.
Jesse

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2016, 06:41:12 pm »

Which goes to prove that because you're a professional brewer, doesn't mean you know sh*t.
I will check with a friend of mine next time I see him. He lived and studied in Munich (weihenstephan). 58 to 60f wouldn't surprise me at all.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2016, 06:49:26 pm »

I thought the same. I can't claim any knowledge of their practices though. But quite a few brewers (some here, some brewer friends of mine) seem to feel that 3068 is more clove heavy from 62-64F, more banana/bubblegum above 65F.  Maybe a difference in perception. I've never heard of it being used in the 50s, though.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 06:50:57 pm »
Try Troegs Dream Weaver wheat. Best American Hefeweizen I have had. A lot of times the German one's we get over here are not very good with few exceptions.

I have made some absolutely killer homebrew versions before but have struggled making great commercial versions and I think open fermentation is the key here (not so much on 5-10 gallon batches though, sorry you aren't building up enough pressure to make a difference especially if you aren't using an air lock). Troegs uses open fermentation.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:55:23 pm by majorvices »

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 06:57:00 pm »

I thought the same. I can't claim any knowledge of their practices though. But quite a few brewers (some here, some brewer friends of mine) seem to feel that 3068 is more clove heavy from 62-64F, more banana/bubblegum above 65F.  Maybe a difference in perception. I've never heard of it being used in the 50s, though.
I personally have done them at 58f, tons of banana!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »

Yep, Eric Warner's great book "Brewing German Wheat Beers" recommends starting off at 58 degrees and he worked at a Bavarian weissbier brewery. It is one of the best CBS series books. Some aren't very good but that one is essential to understanding the secrets of brewring German Hefeweizen.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:10 pm »
I think the proper pitch rate is just as important, I not a fan of under pitching anything.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2016, 07:20:53 pm »

Yep, Eric Warner's great book "Brewing German Wheat Beers" recommends starting off at 58 degrees and he worked at a Bavarian weissbier brewery. It is one of the best CBS series books. Some aren't very good but that one is essential to understanding the secrets of brewring German Hefeweizen.

Ok, I stand corrected. Never read it. On the odd time that I brew one, I like my temp profile. May give it a shot someday.
Jon H.