Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Done with hefes  (Read 11885 times)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Re: Done with hefes
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2016, 11:08:45 am »
1:45 50% sure we turned the corner.  There's a very slight mashed in smell.  2:00 more richer but nothing sweet yet.  Spoon is getting sweeter smelling tho.  Seems like this will take longer than expected.  Kilning references in home malting refer to 24hrs but that is wet malt.  Not sure if I can do 4 hours today but should be able to go 3.  None of this means it's guaranteed to carry over into the beer but seems logical it would.
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2016, 11:15:16 am »
@ 1hr even less hay;  1:15 same;  1:30 starting to think we might be turning a corner towards malty but not 100% sure.  Spoon smells pretty dang cool.  Not malty or sweet, but a very real smell like standing in the middle of a field on a nice day vibe. 

I've never experienced any real notable differences in domestic vs import (2 row vs GR pils) in the past even though I cave for the real deal on my hefe (Weyermann usually).   Main reason I used Briess is one time I got a sack so fresh, it literally stunk up my car for a week with only being in there for a 10m ride.  So I know there's potential.  In the end, I think freshness might trump origin or variety.  Someone is welcome to run their own trial on some imported stuff.   
I see a noticeable difference between maltsters let alone between 2 row and pilsner. But anyway that's a different conversation. Freshness is paramount in all foods. So if 2 row can be improved, that's great! Good luck testing. I know slightly toasting oats really wakes them up.

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2016, 11:52:48 am »
I think you're right with the fresh malt thing.   When I was in Bavaria this past summer I noticed that even most of the smaller, local brewers did their own malting.  Just another factor in the "individualness" of every weissbier I sampled over there (and it was a lot).

Can you name which ones? Interested.

The ones around Bamberg use malt from Weyermann or Bamberg Malz. Of course, Schlenkerla and Spezial malt and dry their own malt over beechwood fires. A place in Niederbayern goes up towards Regensburg to get their malt.

It looked like Traunstein and Schönram used to. Ayinger had the bins adjacent to the brewhouse.

I have read that Augustiner and Paulaner have maltings at the breweries in Munich

Innstadt, Lowenbrau Passauer, and Arcobrau (the brewery is actually in Moos) in  Passau to name a few.   Lowenbrau had the best weissbier and Arcobrau's zwickl was amazing.
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2016, 01:00:16 pm »
Called it.  Basically the malty aroma levelled off and not much changed.  I was kinda hoping for "house was smelling of malt" but not so.  Decided to taste.  Night and day difference!  Rekilned has this intense grapenuts thing and other malt is just kinda floury.  Didn't expect that at all.  Interesting. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2016, 01:13:31 pm »
Called it.  Basically the malty aroma levelled off and not much changed.  I was kinda hoping for "house was smelling of malt" but not so.  Decided to taste.  Night and day difference!  Rekilned has this intense grapenuts thing and other malt is just kinda floury.  Didn't expect that at all.  Interesting. 

Very cool! Now I'm really curious to hear what you think about the end product. Thanks for the info.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »
Nice experiment, Sam! Thanks for sharing.
Jesse