Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bjcp scoring question  (Read 2537 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
bjcp scoring question
« on: September 29, 2016, 03:42:50 am »
Training to be a non-BJCP judge, I have a question about scoring homebrews in the BJCP system: say homebrew X gets scored M in round one, and homebrew Y gets scored N in round one, and M is higher than N. And then X and Y are compared in round two, and Y is deemed "better" than X. Is the score of Y adapted to make it higher than X?

Or do things work in a completely different way?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: bjcp scoring question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:07:21 am »
Sometimes it happens like you described, but often not.  It's a lot of work making all these adjustments.  Some judges take it upon themselves to rectify apparent "errors".  However I don't believe it is a requirement to do so.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:58:07 am »
But that implies that a winner of a competition does not necessarily have the highest score, right?
Frank P.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:36:24 am »
But that implies that a winner of a competition does not necessarily have the highest score, right?

That's right...welcome to the world of mini-BOS. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 07:06:42 am »
Yep, found the explanation here: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf

Not sure which system is better: the one where the winner's score gets artificially bumped up or the one where the winner does not necessarily have the highest score...
Frank P.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:44:03 am »

It's not an implication.  It's a fact.  That's the way competitions work.  So many things play into how a beer scores that it would be unfair to just assign winners by score.  You might have one judge pair that's extremely generous and another that's especially stingy.  Plus in many cases, beers early in a flight won't always score as high as those later in a flight.  As a brewer, all I'm looking for is whether I made mini-BOS.  If I accomplish that, it doesn't matter as much if/how I place since I know how those things work.  Sometimes, it's luck of the draw, and the beer that was scored was the 'good' bottle and the one in mini-BOS was a 'bad' bottle.  Sometimes, it's just that when compared side-by-side, one beer is more to style than another.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 08:23:47 am »
Finally won my first Best Of Show a couple weeks back. 41.5, only 4 entries in category. (And 3 medals given out  :o )

Another of my entries scored 46. A third entry only scored 34, but over the weekend I got an email from a guy with 25 years of judging and mead making experience, who was drinking the second bottle and raved about it.

Different palates, different scoring thought processes, different judge skill levels.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:50:14 am »
Finally won my first Best Of Show a couple weeks back. 41.5, only 4 entries in category. (And 3 medals given out  :o )

Another of my entries scored 46. A third entry only scored 34, but over the weekend I got an email from a guy with 25 years of judging and mead making experience, who was drinking the second bottle and raved about it.

Different palates, different scoring thought processes, different judge skill levels.

Congrats on the BOS!
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:59:55 am »
Training to be a non-BJCP judge, I have a question about scoring homebrews in the BJCP system: say homebrew X gets scored M in round one, and homebrew Y gets scored N in round one, and M is higher than N. And then X and Y are compared in round two, and Y is deemed "better" than X. Is the score of Y adapted to make it higher than X?

Or do things work in a completely different way?

Usually not.  The second round is the second round and what happened in the first round is past.  I'm not saying your scenario doesn't happen, but I don't recall ever seeing it.  Now, within the the same round a beer's score may change relative to toher beers.  But I don't think I've ever seen it happen in different rounds.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 10:03:54 am »
I'll say the magic word again that pisses some people off:

Crapshoot.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 10:05:43 am »

Crapshoot.

If you don't realize that going in, then you shouldn't be entering.  And it's usually not that bad.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 10:07:53 am »

Crapshoot.

If you don't realize that going in, then you shouldn't be entering.  And it's usually not that bad.

I figure about 50/50 or worse.
Dave

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 10:09:43 am »
Congrats on the BOS!

Thank you! I'm just bummed that "Whatever Denny, *I* taste the decoction" didn't place. Next time!   ;D