Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: suction in my fermenter bucket  (Read 1654 times)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
suction in my fermenter bucket
« on: September 28, 2016, 10:46:56 pm »
It's my first brew where I am actually controlling temperature during fermentation. I have a brown ale fermenting in my chest freezer being held at 68 degrees f. Its been fermenting for a week and I noticed today that the sanitizer in the air lock is being sucked into the fermenter. What can cause this? Will this affect my beer?

Thanks,
Curtis
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: suction in my fermenter bucket
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 11:55:44 pm »
As active fermentation slows the temperature of the beer drops. This lowers the pressure inside the fermenter to below the ambient pressure. Using an "S" type air lock rather than a 3 piece air lock will prevent sucking in sanitizer.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:44:49 am »
No worries.  A small amount of sanitizer should not be a problem.  I use cheap vodka in my airlocks in the event something like this happens. 

If you're using star san, as it dilutes it becomes something like yeast nutrient so there is no harm there.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:51:09 pm »
Thanks a lot guys.

I was thinking of transfering some of my Maple Brown Ale on to some ground Coffee this weekend. I figure I will give it 2 days and then taste to see where I am at as far as flavor. Does the coffee flavor fade with time? Would I be ok if it ages for a while in the bottle? Any other suggestions for this process?

Cheers
R,
Curtis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:53:24 am »
Yes.  Coffee flavor fades with time, but it does not go away.  I don't mind a coffee stout with some age on it.  I think the coffee becomes less prominent, but it's still there.  You'll lose some of the aromatics, mostly, in my experience.

How are you adding the coffee?  There are many ways to do so, none of them wrong.  I prefer to add cracked beans to the fermenter/keg.  My coffee guy tells me you'll get everything from the beans in 24 hours, but I usually leave them longer.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:05:22 am »
My plan was to use a course grind in a fine mesh bag and rack on top of it. Wait 2 days, taste go longer if necessary then bottle with corn sugar. I want a little in the back ground to go with the yeast and maple syrup. Basically an experiment if you will.

Thanks
R,
 Curtis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:40:20 am »
That's how I do it.  I think it will work well.  No real need to go past two days, but do whatcha want it won't hurt.

If I want more coffee than I get initially, I just crack more beans and do a second addition.