Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beligan Quadruple Recipe opinions  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
Beligan Quadruple Recipe opinions
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:30:36 pm »
Good afternoon! Hope everyone is fine! Just wanted get some feedback and opinions on my recipe to make a Belgian Quad. Any ideas, suggestions or criticism will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Beligan Quadruple Recipe opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 03:44:13 pm »
All in all pretty good.

1/  Is the candi sugar in the form of candi syrup like D180, hopefully?

2/  I'd drop the carapils and replace it with the 2.8% as more D180. This beer will have tons of body as is and won't need any extra help. The extra candi syrup will give it even more dark fruit, Trappist character.

3/  Personally, I'd extend the mash to 152F for 90 minutes.
Jon H.

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:48:13 pm »
Yep, everything is syrup, d180. I do have some rocks to adjust gravity in case something went wrong, which I doubt.

My idea of the carapils is for head retention, as I understand that the more alcohol beer has, the harder is to retain head and I would like to improve it in that way.

I'll consider your mash idea as am I'm not 100% with mine yet.

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:50:18 pm »
Yep, everything is syrup, d180. I do have some rocks to adjust gravity in case something went wrong, which I doubt.

My idea of the carapils is for head retention, as I understand that the more alcohol beer has, the harder is to retain head and I would like to improve it in that way.

I'll consider your mash idea as am I'm not 100% with mine yet.

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

I've never thought carapils is very effective for head retention. That same amount of flaked barley will give infinitely better foam FWIW. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:12:43 pm »
I don't think adding carapils or flaked grain is going to do much for head retention on a big quad, and frankly I don't think the style needs it.

While I like the idea of combining C-120 with Special B in a quad, that seems like a bit much crystal malt in total for this style. Maybe cut the C-120 by half?

Yeast choice is a matter of personal preference, and 3787 will do just fine, but I think 1762 (Rochefort) really shines in this style. If you're not set on the yeast, consider going with the 1762.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 05:52:29 am »
Yeah, I just noticed that you are using kg's as your measurement. I think 1 kg is enough D180. Is the new D240 released yet to the public? If so, I'd look into that. I agree with Eric, there's a lot of crystal there. I think that I would cut the 120L and carapils altogether. Maybe consider adding some Munich to the grist. Special B is good stuff. However, I do think that your recipe will make a fine beer.
Frank