Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is Maris Otter worth it?  (Read 23262 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Is Maris Otter worth it?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 01:35:03 pm »
I had a bulk bag of Optic malt and to be honest couldn't tell you how different it was from domestic two row, but it sounds like Maris Otter is a bit more dramatic in flavor.

I've used Optic a few times, but don't buy it anymore - IMO,  its more muted in richness than MO and has a sublte raisiny maltiness that I did not care for in the ESB I did.  I would agree - not much more umph over 2-row in this case.  YMMV.  

I remember reading about a stout recipe using all munich as a base malt.  That'd be interesting!  

You probably were talking about something else, but I make a munich based stout once a year or so that I discussed several times on the NB forum - if you ever want the recipe, let me know - its killer and always goes over well!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 01:50:14 pm »
+1 on the all MO stout.  Mmmmmmmmm.........mmmmmmmmmm.........good

Offline pdbreen

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 03:12:38 pm »
Same answer as the others - only using Marris Otter.  Picked up 3 sacks yesterday from North Country Malt @ $40/sack.  Works out to about 0.73/lb.
You say you went over to pick up a few sacks?  Is it hard to get to from Burlington, VT?  I'm in Southern NH but go up to Burlington once in a while and wondered if it is worth the hike over.

Probably an hour or so from Burlington and with GPS, not hard.  Rather a pleasant drive once you get off 89 actually.
Atomic Dog Brewery
On Deck: Imperial Stout, Nut Brown
P: American IPA, Irish Red, Barley Wine, Smoked Porter
S: British IPA, Hefe Weizen, Zinfandel
K: Apfelwein x 2, Graff, Phat Tyre, Lefse Blonde, Cream Ale
T: 3 Hearted, Dry Irish Stout

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 09:11:15 am »
To me, it depends on what you're making.  For a lot of the styles I like top brew, I find MO to be "too much" flavorwise.

I think I have to agree with Denny.  Some brews aren't as clean tasting if you use MO.  Jmo. 

But I do like MO in the right recipes.  On the other hand... maybe its just me and I can't brew worth a s***?  I'm not a master of brewing thats for sure, I still don't tamper with my water so that tells you something right there.  I just learn as I go and as I can afford to experiment.   ;)

Offline mike_sdak

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 09:00:54 pm »
Just reiterating Maris Otter rocks, and I get mine from MidCountry Malt.

-OCD
OCD,

Last time I checked, MidCountry Malt didn't ship small shipments (1  sack or so).  Has that changed?  Or did you do a bulk buy?

It would be great if I could order from MidCountry - they are much closer to  me than their east coast location

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 05:43:04 am »
For English style ales MO or another good English variety will really make a difference. For American ales I like to use MO but I cut it at least 50% with an american Pale malt or, just as often, Pilsner malt.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 08:41:55 am »
I just tapped an English IPA with MO...and in two words...hell yeah. I really like the flavor.  8)

I suppose the way to really determine the difference...  between an American 2 row and MO is do a blind tasting with two beer recipes the only difference being the base malts.

Ron Price

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 09:50:30 am »
Maris is great. It is always my first preference.
It is perfect for just about any style of Ale, American, British, or other.

I keep hearing the word "biscuity" to describe Maris...but I don't find that to be the case at all.  Maybe it's my procedures, mayby the water I use...but in any case, Maris Otter makes damned good beer in just about any "style" (if concern about "styles" is your thing).
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 03:41:41 pm »

Last time I checked, MidCountry Malt didn't ship small shipments (1  sack or so).  Has that changed?  Or did you do a bulk buy?

It would be great if I could order from MidCountry - they are much closer to  me than their east coast location

They probably just ship from their closest warehouse.
I can drive right up to the dock, so I don't know for sure how much shipping is.
Best move would be to call them.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 03:43:00 pm »
I keep hearing the word "biscuity" to describe Maris...but I don't find that to be the case at all. 

Maybe there's something wrong with your biscuits?  ;)

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 04:58:51 pm »
Maybe there's something wrong with your biscuits?  ;)

-OCD

Ha!  Who knows. 
Once you hit your late 50's your biscuits do get a bit temperamental.  ;D
AL
New Brunswick, NJ

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 07:32:07 pm »
I've had great results using MO and golden promise malts for my english style beers as well as  american IPA and PA styles.  It contributes a level of malt complexity that I dont get from straight Rahr or Briess PA malts, although adding a bit of victory contributes quite a bit of biscuity character in combination with either MO or american PA malts. 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline onebarrel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 09:18:09 pm »
My standard english malt is Crisp and I have been using it for years with great results. Recently
I compaired it to MO to see what all the fuss was about and personally I can't justify the increased cost
for a small increase in quality. When you start dumping 2 bags per batch into the mash tun it adds up
in a hurry ! I guess it is even worse if your buying 10 lbs at a go from the LHBS.

I think to be fair if your compairing MO to other malts then compair it to Scottish or English varietys... the malt
I have been using has a carmel aftertaste I dig that works well with Barley Wines, Porters, and English ESBs
whereas the MO has more of a bready note in the finish.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 09:39:25 pm »
My standard english malt is Crisp and I have been using it for years with great results. Recently
I compaired it to MO to see what all the fuss was about and personally I can't justify the increased cost
for a small increase in quality.

Was the Maris you tried also made by Crisp?  I've used Crisp regular 2-Row and Crisp Maris 2-row, and I found the latter to be noticeably richer, and hence, always my favorite one to use. 
Unfortunately my good, reasonably priced source for it went out of business so I haven't used it in a while. 
It would still be my first choice for all of my beers..
AL
New Brunswick, NJ

Offline onebarrel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2009, 12:00:13 pm »
Good question... it was actually Thomas Fawcett & Sons MO, they were out of the Crisp brand at the time and
I only bought half a bag, but it was so pricey it kind of scared me away !

Don't get me wrong, it made fantastic beer but with the way things are money wise I could not justify it. Another thing
was I was the only one in my crew who could tell the difference... it was sort of wasted on my drinking buddies - they just
want me to churn out Bud clones  >:(

Maybe if the price comes down a bit I will give it another try, right now sticking with Domestic malts and the cheapest price I can find. US or Canadian malt make excellent beer.