Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is Maris Otter worth it?  (Read 23263 times)

Offline hopshead

• Cellarman
Re: Is Maris Otter worth it?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 05:14:36 pm »
I have not brewed enough beers with MO to say for sure if "it is worth it."  Other homebrewers I have heard opinions from seem to think a good domestic 2 row coupled with a little bit of Munich malt will get you a base malt bill that is similar to MO malt.  I have not tasted a "side by side" of an all MO base beer and 2row w/munich so I don't know for sure.  I do plan on "testing" this theory in the future.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 05:25:09 pm »
I would say US 2-row with biscuit will get you close, but not exact. But Munich is the wrong malt to try to emulate MO and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Offline rep

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 07:57:16 am »
I would say US 2-row with biscuit will get you close, but not exact. But Munich is the wrong malt to try to emulate MO and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Would you simply sub some of the two row for an equal amount of Biscuit?  Also, what recipe percentages might be used?
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2009, 06:39:28 am »
You only use about 3-5% biscuit in substitution of 2 row.

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 08:28:02 am »
I was once a MO only brewer but I have since move on to Golden Promise. My homebrew club did a Malt Tea(mashed at 150 for 30 min) tasting last week and it is amazing the difference between domestic 2 row, domestic 6 row and the British (MO and GP) malts. You will not be disappointed with the MO. I would recommend doing a malt tea tasting as a club presentation or on your own to see the difference between malts that you will use as a base to get a better understanding of what you are starting with. for yourself all you need is to crush 4 oz and mash for 30 minutes or so. For a group of 15 we used 8 ounces per malt with 8 different malts. Very informative. 
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 11:53:23 am »
I was once a MO only brewer but I have since move on to Golden Promise. My homebrew club did a Malt Tea(mashed at 150 for 30 min) tasting last week and it is amazing the difference between domestic 2 row, domestic 6 row and the British (MO and GP) malts. You will not be disappointed with the MO. I would recommend doing a malt tea tasting as a club presentation or on your own to see the difference between malts that you will use as a base to get a better understanding of what you are starting with. for yourself all you need is to crush 4 oz and mash for 30 minutes or so. For a group of 15 we used 8 ounces per malt with 8 different malts. Very informative. 
Very interesting idea.
Thank you
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 09:26:53 am »

very cool idea that would might be fun to do at a meeting.  did you guys cool it down or drink hot?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 10:49:22 am »
It had cooled to room temp by the time we got around to drinking it.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 08:53:23 pm »
I mostly use Maris Otter and love it.  I just did some Belgians with Weyerman pale and really can't complain about that malt either!

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 08:54:40 pm »

That's a great idea.  I'm going to steal it for my homebrew club! ;D