Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NEIPAs in the NW  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
NEIPAs in the NW
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:34:42 pm »
Just returned from Portland. I was kind of surprised to see how the whole NEIPA craze has gone nationwide. It is starting to pop up here in Denver but I had only seen a couple of local versions in the past few months. They are all over Portland and Oregon which sort of surprised me though I am not sure why considering the amount of activity it has been getting around here. Most of them tasted like fruit forward pale ales with very subdued bitterness to me and were not that spectacular although my buddy really like most examples.

On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: NEIPAs in the NW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:40:22 pm »
interesting. I just got back from Vermont - had a lot of Hill Farmstead, Alchemist and Lawson's.

I've had the latter 2 before, and I still think Sip of Sunshine is one of the best, but was sort of disappointed in the rest.   :o
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 02:49:09 pm »
Sip is excellent as is Bissell Brothers (in the other Portland...Maine).  And of course anything from Trillium is a homerun!

I can't remark on Treehouse since it's over 2 hours away from me, you have to wait in line with 150+ people (although I hear they are pretty good at handling that) and they limit it to 4-6 cans per style, with usually 1 or 2 releases a day.   Too far and too much time for so little beer.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 06:28:49 am »
Sip is excellent as is Bissell Brothers (in the other Portland...Maine).  And of course anything from Trillium is a homerun!

I can't remark on Treehouse since it's over 2 hours away from me, you have to wait in line with 150+ people (although I hear they are pretty good at handling that) and they limit it to 4-6 cans per style, with usually 1 or 2 releases a day.   Too far and too much time for so little beer.
They just broke ground yesterday on a new facility in Charlton, ma that will be much bigger and an easier drive for you. http://www.telegram.com/news/20160912/tree-house-brewing-breaks-ground-at-new-site-in-charlton
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:55:57 am »

They just broke ground yesterday on a new facility in Charlton, ma that will be much bigger and an easier drive for you. http://www.telegram.com/news/20160912/tree-house-brewing-breaks-ground-at-new-site-in-charlton

That's great news...I've been wondering when they were going to get started with that.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:00:32 am »
A buddy called them Blonde Oat IPAs. I don't know if that is really a thing or not. Heading up there in a few weeks, so we will see.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 09:13:28 am »
A buddy called them Blonde Oat IPAs. I don't know if that is really a thing or not. Heading up there in a few weeks, so we will see.

I saw some offerings specifically branded as NEIPA while others not but fitting the description to a tee.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale