Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Three brews today  (Read 5570 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Three brews today
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 02:59:02 pm »

Candy is perfect

I only dropped 2F!! My guess is the mash was higher that I originally got, because there is a ton of head space in this cooler

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 02:59:41 pm »
Mashing out the first 2 now, 10 mins left for MO then I am going to drain the bags and take a Preboil

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 03:49:32 pm »

8.5 gallons in the boil!

5.2ish gallons in the second, but I need to let the bags finish draining

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 05:14:42 pm »

Way I figure it right now that's only 76% efficiency which I am not crazy about but I will take it.  Looks like possibly 1.056 on the first and second batch, only chill and 2nd boil will tell final results

AHA Member

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:59 pm »
Every time I try to multi brew in a day, the first one goes great and the rest are disasters.  Hats off to you.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 05:22:01 pm »
Congrats you da man!  8)
Jimmykx250

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 06:40:51 pm »
on to the 3rd... I am looking at right at 8 hrs without the start of the 3rd boil... but that is because I ran out of propane.  So.  I am right at the cusp of completing... The 2nd batch is going into the fermenter in 5... then I am collecting the runnings from the 3rd batch and taking samples for the 3rd. Ya know those times when you are ready to say, "wtf I need a beer."

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 08:47:59 pm »

Finally finished the boil and only 10F from transferring to a fermenter... that's 3 brews 17.5 gallons in what looks like 11 hrs with clean up.  And I need a pillow

And if you can't tell, yup I had a boil over... that will be fun to clean

AHA Member

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 09:47:16 pm »
Careful with that last step when you are tired and not thinking strait.  I brewed a pale ale and a pilsner one day and everything went OK until I put the 1056 in the pilsner and the 2124 in the pale ale.  Frustrating way to end the day.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 06:02:05 am »
Nate  that would be Awful...  all in all it went pretty smooth just tiresome.  My 2nd running batch came out to 1.052 **Edit temp correction for gravity reading.  Which has about 10% candy in it.  Loving the color so far

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:47:23 am by JJeffers09 »

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 06:41:54 am »
Well guys thanks for the encouragement and acknowledging my level of crazy (haha) it would have been so much more fun with a brewing assistant and my regular gear.  Now I know that I had to makeshift my system and throw together some sillyness, but all it all 78% efficiency out of those grains.  At least proves to myself that I have learned enough to get by.  Time will tell if these beers are up to par. Friends-giving 2016 party is right around the corner.

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 01:50:55 pm »
Took SG's of all three.
Amber Ale 81% app. Attenuation

Saison 82% app. Attenuation

Red IPA 80% app. attenuation

Going to taste them once they chill a little.  The aromas are smooth and malty, the IPA is very citrusy.  I want to dry hop it with either some galaxy or simcoe and cascade.  The Amber ale is going to get another 1oz of perle.  The saison smells faintly of bubblegum lemon and black pepper is faint too...  Nothing crazy, I am praying that I can't taste bubblegum.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:18:32 am by JJeffers09 »

AHA Member

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2016, 05:20:07 pm »
Every time I try to multi brew in a day, the first one goes great and the rest are disasters.  Hats off to you.

No doubt. I stopped pulling off double batches years ago, because one always suffered. I figure better to make one killer batch than 2 mediocre.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 08:02:57 am »
I am going for it again.  I was so impressed, and have a doubtful buddy of mine that wants to see this in action.  So again, we are going to see if a stout and a robust porter can be made.  I am going to mash a full batch of robust porter, then when I run off the porter, I am going to throw another pound of roasted malts in the cooler to roast up the stout.  I am shooting for 1.080's so I will keep this posted.

AHA Member

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 08:06:21 am »
you sir, have mental problems