Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cloudy beer  (Read 3328 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cloudy beer
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 08:59:34 am »
I'm pretty much an exclusive liquid yeast brewer.

Same here, Frank. I keep some S05 around but I only use it for 1 gallon hop trial batches. I just prefer liquid cultures. Each his own.

I do keep it on hand in case of emergency. I started a jar of harvested yeast once, and found it to be infected the evening before brew day. I didn't have a back up, and I really don't have a "local" Homebrew store. It's more like "drive an hour away" Homebrew store lol. Needless to say, that brew was post-poned.
Frank

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 10:44:15 am »
Yeah, sounds like residual yeast in suspension - S05 takes a little longer to clear than 1056/001.  I like gelatin best to drop out yeast, but hop character may drop off a tad since you're dropping out yeast that absorb hop oils. But since you keg, you can always add a couple oz of dry hops in a fine mesh nylon bag to the keg to compensate. What I do.

Edit -  Excellent procedure for using gelatin:
   If I read this correctly, fining room temperature beer with gelatin is a waste of time? Am I needlessly adding an additional chance to potentially expose my beer to oxidation and infection when I fine after fermentation and before bottling?

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 10:48:37 am »
Yeah, sounds like residual yeast in suspension - S05 takes a little longer to clear than 1056/001.  I like gelatin best to drop out yeast, but hop character may drop off a tad since you're dropping out yeast that absorb hop oils. But since you keg, you can always add a couple oz of dry hops in a fine mesh nylon bag to the keg to compensate. What I do.

Edit -  Excellent procedure for using gelatin:
   If I read this correctly, fining room temperature beer with gelatin is a waste of time? Am I needlessly adding an additional chance to potentially expose my beer to oxidation and infection when I fine after fermentation and before bottling?

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

No, you can use gelatin at warmer temps - some brewers here do that and say that it works fairly well. But adding it to cold beer is just more effective.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 10:24:48 am »
If you fine when your beer is cold, the gelatin will also drop out the proteins that cause chill haze, thus clearer beer if chill haze is an issue.

If you fine warm, you won't drop chill haze as it needs to form to be dropped out.

Other than that, I don't believe temp should matter.

Time and cold also does wonders for clearing beer all by itself.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 05:45:01 am »
I'm pretty much an exclusive liquid yeast brewer. I bleed a DIPA in the spring, and used S-05. It was a test to see if I could save time and money. Not only was the beer cloudy for at least a couple months, it never tasted as clean as it does when I use WLP001. So never again lol.

On a side note, I've always wanted to make a true clone of Two Hearted by propagating Bell's house yeast from bottle dregs.... but I don't have time for all that.

It doesn't take much time. If you are making a starter, make a little more to culture up the Bellz's.

Too much yeast in the beer gives me gas. Some don't get gas, some do.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:47:56 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 09:20:36 am »

That said, if it was hop compounds that were on the yeasts then you were planning for those to drop out anyway so you would have had to compensate for that in any case.

+1.  This point isn't always understood.