Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 8 weeks in primary...  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
8 weeks in primary...
« on: October 03, 2016, 04:54:18 am »
I did it, so now you don't have to.

I can definitively say that 8 weeks on the yeast cake resulted in autolysis in my lager.

And it's gross. Toss in what I'm calling astringency (weird back of the mouth drying/bitter grossness) from too much hop matter making it into the fermentor, and this beer is just plain bad...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: 8 weeks in primary...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 11:10:12 am »
Ouch, thanks for the experimental data Phil. Hope you have another batch nearing completion.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:21:01 am »
I hear you... It's happened to me enough times as well to know that autolysis is real.  I can't remember now if I set my rule of thumb to 6 weeks or to 8 weeks but it's in that ballpark to where if you're planning on going any longer than about 6 weeks, start to be concerned that it could go bad.  These days I try to get my beer into bottles or secondary if necessary within 4-6 weeks max so I haven't had this problem for many years now.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:32:51 am »
I've had beers hit 6 weeks before, and till now never noticed any issues. This was a pale lager though, so that could be a factor.

Could be yeast dependent as well. This was a WLP835/WYE-2001 split batch. I couldn't detect any autolysis flavors in the 2001, but that was the most astringent. (still brown hop gunk floating on the beer.)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 06:42:04 pm »
So I didn't dump them immediately...

The brothy brew (this was a 10 gal split batch) was still gross upon warming from 32o to room temp. Dumped that one.

The astringent one tasted fine, and damn close to Pilsner Urquell. (my target.) Kegged that one, will see how it tastes carbed and served at 50o.

I'm excited. For my first lager this one latter half may not be bad at all. I think I'll try a bock next...that's my favorite style.