Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: complimentary hops with Ekuanot/Equinox/366  (Read 15962 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
complimentary hops with Ekuanot/Equinox/366
« on: October 03, 2016, 10:52:09 am »
Thinking of using the old reliables of cascade and centennial with ekuanot for an APA. Any other recommendations?

Other options on hand, I believe I have:
Cascade
Centennial
Simcoe
Amarillo
Palisade
Sterling
Crystal
Ahtanum
Willamette
Comet

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:41:17 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: complimentary hops with Ekuanot
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 11:02:02 am »
I think any of those would work ok, but keep in mind that Ekuanot is pretty strong so Cascade or Amarillo (or similar intensity hops) would get lost at 1:1, so you'd need to bump the ratio. blatz is a huge proponent of Citra with Equinox (Ekuanot). I blended it with several hops but not Citra. I liked it with Simcoe, as well as Chinook and Mosaic.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:08:35 am »
I think any of those would work ok, but keep in mind that Ekuanot is pretty strong so Cascade or Amarillo (or similar intensity hops) would get lost at 1:1, so you'd need to bump the ratio. blatz is a huge proponent of Citra with Equinox (Ekuanot). I blended it with several hops but not Citra. I liked it with Simcoe, as well as Chinook and Mosaic.

Thanks Jon. I was thinking of doing a strongly Ekuanot influenced beer so that might be okay. I don't have enough to single hop it. If I want more of an equal influence from the other hops I will definitely plan on tinkering with the ratios.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:10:38 am by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:18:41 am »

Thanks Jon. I was thinking of doing a strongly Ekuanot influenced beer so that might be okay. I don't have enough to single hop it. If I want more of an equal influence from the other hops I will definitely plan on tinkering with the ratios.

Cool. I was gonna suggest actually trying it single hop because it's such a complex hop. But if you're limited on it, most any of those would work nicely. Simcoe 1:1 is a pretty fair fight, past that Ahtanum, Amarillo, Cascade, or Centennial (my other choices here) would lose at 1:1 but it sounds like that might be a good thing for what you're after. Let me know what you think!

Edit - For reference, it's all about hop oil content in terms of being able to roughly gauge intensity. You see slightly different numbers quoted depending on the season, grower, retailer, etc, but these numbers show how potent Ekuanot is - in a great way IMO.

Ekuanot -  2.8 - 4  (ml/100g oils)
Simcoe -   2.5 - 3
Centennial - 1.5 - 2.5
Amarillo -  1.5 - 2.2
Cascade -  .8 - 1.5
Ahtanum -  .8 - 1.2
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:54:49 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 02:28:09 pm »

Cool. I was gonna suggest actually trying it single hop because it's such a complex hop. But if you're limited on it, most any of those would work nicely. Simcoe 1:1 is a pretty fair fight, past that Ahtanum, Amarillo, Cascade, or Centennial (my other choices here) would lose at 1:1 but it sounds like that might be a good thing for what you're after. Let me know what you think!

Edit - For reference, it's all about hop oil content in terms of being able to roughly gauge intensity. You see slightly different numbers quoted depending on the season, grower, retailer, etc, but these numbers show how potent Ekuanot is - in a great way IMO.

Simcoe -   2.5 - 3
Centennial - 1.5 - 2.5
Amarillo -  1.5 - 2.2
Cascade -  .8 - 1.5
Ahtanum -  .8 - 1.2

Thanks. I have known this for a while but have never applied it.

My current APA is 1:1:1 of Comet:Cascade:Ahtanum and I feel that the Comet dominates although it is only shown to have 1.2-2 oil content. I guess it is a bit higher than the other two and there are a lot of other things at play that could affect how I perceive that hop in comparison to the other two. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:29:50 pm by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 03:57:52 pm »

Simcoe -   2.5 - 3
Centennial - 1.5 - 2.5
Amarillo -  1.5 - 2.2
Cascade -  .8 - 1.5
Ahtanum -  .8 - 1.2

My current APA is 1:1:1 of Comet:Cascade:Ahtanum and I feel that the Comet dominates although it is only shown to have 1.2-2 oil content. I guess it is a bit higher than the other two and there are a lot of other things at play that could affect how I perceive that hop in comparison to the other two. 

Thought you knew, Chris. I just mostly wanted to point out how much oil is in those Ekuanot. :)  They're totally made for dry hopping.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 07:54:15 am »

Thought you knew, Chris. I just mostly wanted to point out how much oil is in those Ekuanot. :)  They're totally made for dry hopping.

Man maybe I should use 3 oz for dry hop, 1 oz at the end of the boil along with a 2 oz combo of other hops. Things to ponder...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:17:40 am »

Man maybe I should use 3 oz for dry hop, 1 oz at the end of the boil along with a 2 oz combo of other hops. Things to ponder...

Sounds good to me.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 10:22:25 am »
Is there anyone else that can't get past the ridiculous new name? If you can't call it Equinox, find something different sounding (like Solstice, maybe?) instead of a mangled version of the original name.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:32:45 am »
Is there anyone else that can't get past the ridiculous new name? If you can't call it Equinox, find something different sounding (like Solstice, maybe?) instead of a mangled version of the original name.

That's funny, coming from erock.   ;D

Took me a few seconds to figure out that Ekuanot = Equinox, but it does make it easier for "people in the know" to know what it is without any research so it was actually helpful for that reason.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 10:33:53 am »

If I understood the issue, HBC was forced to change due to a legal/trademark issue - if that's true, it's probably a clever jab at whomever. I could be wrong, though. But I agree, Solstice would've been better. 
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 10:38:35 am »

That's funny, coming from erock.   ;D

Took me a few seconds to figure out that Ekuanot = Equinox, but it does make it easier for "people in the know" to know what it is without any research so it was actually helpful for that reason.  :)

Yeah. I totally spaced on this thread because I never made the connection. Now that I know that Ekuanot is Equinox.... Yeah.... Best.Hop.Ever. Works well with C-hops and is a good single hop option. It's very high in oil content so if you want it equal with other hops, make sure you take that into account.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 10:48:36 am »
Best.Hop.Ever. Works well with C-hops and is a good single hop option. It's very high in oil content so if you want it equal with other hops, make sure you take that into account.

Yeah, it's pretty high up my list of American hops, too.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 01:23:08 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. The hops I have are actually labelled equinox but I just knew that the name was recently changed.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 05:51:02 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. The hops I have are actually labelled equinox but I just knew that the name was recently changed.
Has anyone checked out this recipe:

Ekuanot HBC 366 American Pale Ale
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/ych-hops-american-pale-ale/

AHA had a deal last month with membership renewal you got 4oz Simcoe, 2 oz Ekuanot, and 1 oz Warrior from YCH. The amounts are tied to the recipe linked above.

Based on this thread I may use the 2oz Ekuanot stand alone in a 2.5G batch. Not sure.