Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: complimentary hops with Ekuanot/Equinox/366  (Read 15964 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: complimentary hops with Ekuanot
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 05:57:44 pm »
Has anyone checked out this recipe:

Ekuanot HBC 366 American Pale Ale
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/ych-hops-american-pale-ale/

AHA had a deal last month with membership renewal you got 4oz Simcoe, 2 oz Ekuanot, and 1 oz Warrior from YCH. The amounts are tied to the recipe linked above.

Based on this thread I may use the 2oz Ekuanot stand alone in a 2.5G batch. Not sure.

Looks pretty solid to me. Sounds like a nice use for those hops.
Jon H.

Online tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 05:59:29 pm »

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/ych-hops-american-pale-ale/

AHA had a deal last month with membership renewal you got 4oz Simcoe, 2 oz Ekuanot, and 1 oz Warrior from YCH. The amounts are tied to the recipe linked above.

Based on this thread I may use the 2oz Ekuanot stand alone in a 2.5G batch. Not sure.

Certainly matches most of the recommendations here.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 06:07:05 pm »

Certainly matches most of the recommendations here.

Personally, I'd like the late Ekuanot and Simcoe to be 1:1, but it'll make a tasty beer anyway. 
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 10:05:20 pm »
Not sure what the deal is with the name but my first batch with these hops is finishing carbing. I went 2:1 equinox to simcoe at flame out and dry hop. Realizing the impact of simcoe, I am getting a ton of pineapple, mango, and possibly papaya in the aroma and flavor. Very surprised by the amount of tropical fruit. A lot less citrus and pine than I was expecting at this point.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:08:15 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 05:19:40 am »
Not sure what the deal is with the name but my first batch with these hops is finishing carbing. I went 2:1 equinox to simcoe at flame out and dry hop. Realizing the impact of simcoe, I am getting a ton of pineapple, mango, and possibly papaya in the aroma and flavor. Very surprised by the amount of tropical fruit. A lot less citrus and pine than I was expecting at this point.

If you went 2 Ekuanot: 1 Simcoe, I'm not surprised. Ekuanot is a very fruity hop. Flavors may meld more with time. It'll be good.
Jon H.

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 06:09:58 am »
I liked it with simcoe. It was an unique combo for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 06:13:58 am »
The name? Trademark dispute?

One ounce of HBC-366 is all you need to make 5 gallons of English Summer Ale, and it is a very nice beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 08:26:07 am »
Basic description from YVH
aroma profile: Citrus, Tropical Fruit, Fruity, Herbal

For some reason, I think I was expecting a different profile. I must have confused it with another hop between brewing and now.

I think it is going to be very good just more fruity than I normally care for. My buddies will love it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:30:42 am by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 08:44:49 am »

For some reason, I think I was expecting a different profile. I must have confused it with another hop between brewing and now.

I think it is going to be very good just more fruity than I normally care for. My buddies will love it.

Give it some time. It doesn't have any pine to speak of, but it is pretty complex with fruits and some citrus to me. I think it'll come together in a week or two and you'll like it better. If not, it does really well 50/50 with Simcoe or Chinook. Blatz loves it 50/50 with Citra. Tried several combos with it but not that one. May try it soon. 
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 09:45:19 am »

Give it some time. It doesn't have any pine to speak of, but it is pretty complex with fruits and some citrus to me. I think it'll come together in a week or two and you'll like it better. If not, it does really well 50/50 with Simcoe or Chinook. Blatz loves it 50/50 with Citra. Tried several combos with it but not that one. May try it soon.

For my tastes, I could see it being really good with Chinook. I really like Citra but that might be too much for me. I like the idea of something like 3:2 Centennial to 366
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:48:10 am by goschman »

Online tommymorris

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 12:39:17 pm »
Would Ekuanot be good standalone in an American Wheat?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 01:15:35 pm »

I think it would do great there. It's powerful so I wouldn't overdo it in an American Wheat.  Maybe 3 or 4 oz in a hopstand and a couple oz dry would give you a ton of character.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 02:45:40 pm »

You were right as usual Jon. This is really starting to come around. I am getting a little bit of all desired hop characteristics which Simcoe is no doubt contributing to as well. I get pineapple, mango, papaya, lemon, grapefruit, stonefruit, and some pine (Simcoe?). Last week I was just getting a lot of pungent pineapple and dank characteristics...

Just purchased another 8 oz from YVH
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:47:34 pm by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: complimentary hops with Ekuanot/Equinox/366
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 04:36:14 pm »

You were right as usual Jon. This is really starting to come around. I am getting a little bit of all desired hop characteristics which Simcoe is no doubt contributing to as well. I get pineapple, mango, papaya, lemon, grapefruit, stonefruit, and some pine (Simcoe?). Last week I was just getting a lot of pungent pineapple and dank characteristics...

Just purchased another 8 oz from YVH

Awesome, Chris! Glad it came out nice. It's just a powerful hop. I sent an Equinox IPA to somebody here in a swap that was initially really resiny (I hopped it heavily) for a couple weeks, and then it turned the corner and was just awesome.
Jon H.

Online tommymorris

complimentary hops with Ekuanot/Equinox/366
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 05:42:12 pm »

This beer is good.

50/50 Wheat and 2-row. Mangrove Jack West Coast Ale yeast.

Ekuanot hop stand and dry (1 oz each in 3G batch).

There is a lot going on with this hop. All good.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 05:50:03 pm by alestateyall »